Question about color spaces..

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bullshark, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well I have been having a problem with colorspaces lately. I guess I never noticed it. I would edit something in Photoshop CS3 and look at it in Windows Picture Viewer and it would look totally washed out.. They use different color spaces, Photoshop was using Adobe RGB, and windows was using sRGB 2.1. So I changed my photoshop to sRGB2.1 and I got the things on MY computer to look right.. But what about OTHER peoples computers? I have two photographers that want me to send them pictures that I took, but I'm afraid they may look like sh*t.. What is the best way to get everyone seeing the same thing? What color space should I edit in? CMYK? sRGB 2.1? Adobe RGB 1998? I opened the same pictures that I edited on my home computer last night here on my work computer and they look overcooked.. On my computer they look perfect..

2. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well it depends what you are doing with your pictures, I am not going to get into technical details but here is an overview of what each colour space is good for.

1) Adobe RBG 1998 – This is a photo print standard colour space, this is best choice for printing your pictures at most high end photo labs. (Most Photographers I know work in this space)

2) sRBG 2.1 – This gamut was original designed for web developer to match the colour profile of most monitors on home computers. This is the best choice if you only plan to display your work on the web.

3) CMYK – This is designed for Large ink printers,(Magazines and Books are most common) Unless you are specifically asked for this I would avoid it. You can always convert at a later date if you need to.

3. bullshark

bullshark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok, so if you were to present your work to someone over the computer, and you couldnt do it on the computer on which you edited the photos, what would you do to ensure they look as good as they do on your monitor? The person just wants a disc to see what you were made of. This is no little difference.. It's the diff btwn crap and good, the job or the unemployment line, the gourmet meal or starving to death..

4. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If someone is looking at photography in that aspect they should have a calibrated monitor and they should also know to look at the colour space of the image.

If they don't there is not much you can do. Every monitor is different and will display different colour. If you want to be sure how someone will view your work, print a few samples as 8X10 and drop them off with them.

5. xposurepro

xposurepro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have found that sRGB is ideal for about 90% of my clients/audience .. I do all my editing in a 16-bit ProPhoto RGB workspace .. then when I am finished with all the manipulation I convert to an 8-bit sRGB workspace before saving to JPG for the general public.

6. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't understand the whole AdobeRGB thing. I do everything in sRGB. I view in a web browser, view in a thumbnail viewer, view in Windows application, work in an editor all in sRGB. I used AdobeRGB once and the colors were so drastically oversaturated, it looked horrible. I would have had to desaturate everything, but then if I uploaded to the web in sRGB, there would be no color in the photo.

7. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right,sRBG is better for the web and monitors, but Adobe RBG is better for printing your pictures.

8. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    Still, my experience is, in sRGB, the picture is perfect, exactly what is wanted. Changing to AdobeRGB for printing and I have to do huge amounts of editing to get it back to looking good. Surely it is better to just leave it rather than use a ton of process work.

I have printed myself and the photos in AdobeRGB are terrible. Same photo printed in sRGB and they look great. I recently sent my first batch of photos to a printer (Adorama). I sent them in sRGB and when they came back, they look perfect, identical to my images on the screen.

So, I still fail to see the reasoning behind the AdobeRGB when I have to process the crap out of the color to make them look good again.

9. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Something is wrong there. Exactly how are you changing from sRGB to Adobe RGB?

Best,
    Helen

10. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is a difference between converting from one color space to another and mistakenly viewing an image in the wrong space.

If you have an image that is in Adobe RGB, and you try to view it with a program/system that is meant for sRGB, you will likely get weird results...because the image isn't converted. However, if you use Photoshop (or whatever) to convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB, then you shouldn't have any problems.

So you shouldn't have to rework your images when switching color spaces, just be sure to convert from one to the other.

11. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mistakenly or purposefully. Photoshop will allow both conversion and switching without remapping. It sounds like he's doing the later and then needing to reedit.

12. mrodgers

Photos OK to edit
    I will check it out tonight. I could swear I was converting. I was printing on a little 4x6 printer of which I have used up all the supplies for, so I won't be using it again since it is far cheaper to send them out. But, I think I converted to AdobeRGB, then printed (printer setup for AdobeRGB) and the photos were vastly oversaturated in color. My daughter's skin was quite pink and she has birthmarks on her arm which the print made stand out in almost a flourescent look.

I have since left colorspace stuff alone and ignored it. That was back when I first got my camera and joined this forum that I was messing around with it all.