Question about comparison of Superzoom vs. Rebel 300D

Aiolos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an original Digital Rebel, i.e. 300D, and had a Tamron 18-200mm lens in which the motor broke (so the camera gives error 99 every time I turn it on - totally unusable). I was looking to upgrade to a T2i + Tamron 18-270mm lens, but that is fairly pricey. Then I decided to just get a new lens for my camera and upgrade the body later. Then I realized that the price of a new lens is about the same as a new superzoom. I was looking into some of the superzoom cameras like the Panasonic FZ100, but I didn't like the obvious lack of manual zoom ring that I've always had (my first camera was a Rebel 2000). I did however discover the Fujifilm HS10, which has a manual zoom/focus ring, which I love.

My main question is how would this compare to my 300D. I know that superzooms sacrifice a decent amount of image quality with their smaller sensors compared to DSLR's, but those comparisons are always vs. current DSLR's. How does the HS10's 10MP sensor compare to the sensor in my 300D? Would the quality be about the same or lower? or higher?

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Aiolos

Most reactions

Back