Question about Film SLRs

Britta G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just started school, and my major is Photography. One of my photography classes requires a film slr , and a digital slr camera. I have my digital already, and that is what I will use mostly. I'm looking for suggestions on film camera's that aren't too expensive ( because once school is out I don't plan on using film ). Any suggestions?

There are many, many film SLR cameras available. Do you want an older, more manual on, or maybe one that will be compatible with the same lenses as your DSLR?

I would check ebay or maybe the used section of B&H or Adorama. I see you have a d90 so if you want to stick with nikon heres a link for you.

Used 35mm Cameras

What brand do you use? If you have a nikon dslr go for a nikon film so you can use your lenses with the camera. GL
TJ

You know. I'm fine with an older one, or one with that is compatiable with the lens I have. I use the Nikon D90 right now and only have the kit lens. I just don't want to get a bad Film SLR even though once my classes are done, I won't be using it.

You might like the n60. Not sure if your kit lens will work though. The body at B&H is $79 but you could probably find it a bit cheaper. This was my first slr and it got a lot of use. It's not the best but it was a good camera to learn on for me. Let us know what you get.

I second the Adorama suggestion browse around you will find a lot of things you want to buy :) But also they have low prices
N.gif

... I use the Nikon D90 right now and only have the kit lens...

Your kit lens won't be terribly useful on a film camera. I would recommend getting a film body with a simple 50mm f/1.8.

There are quite a number of Nikon bodies to consider. There are purely manual bodies like the FM, FM2, F2A, & FM10, the latter being a recent but low end model. There are also some manual focus models with some automatic exposure modes in addition to manual like F3, FE, FE2, and FM3 that are worth considering. There are also quite a number of newer AF models that would be suitable (long list). Lenses bundled with any of these would be useable on your D90, though AF lenses would be the most functional.

I wouldn't worry about finding a camera that "matches" what you already have. There are plenty of simple, totally manual cameras out there to be had for just a few dollars. And some of them are built like tanks. Minolta SRTs come to mind.

Just get a body with a decent 50mm and don't worry.

Here's a very nice body: Minolta SRT-202 manual film camera "NICE" - eBay (item 110481074403 end time Jan-20-10 13:47:08 PST)

and here's a lens to go with it: 50mm f/1.7 Minolta MD Lens -#3887 - eBay (item 180455480063 end time Jan-18-10 19:07:45 PST)

This type of cameras are all over ebay.

Just don't get a zoom. They are not as good as prime today and it was even worse before :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks so much for these. I unfortunately didn't end up winning those auctions. I have been looking at some current auctions and I'm not sure if any of these would be good.

1. NIKON N4004S SLR w/AUTOFOCUS FILM CAMERA 35-70mm
2. Nikon N65 SLR, Nikkor 28-80mm Lens
3. Nikon N6006 AF SLR 35mm Film Camera & Nikkor AF 35-70mm
4. Nikon F2A 35mm SLR Film Camera
5. Nikon N70 35mm SLR Film Camera

I'm still looking and I'm not only looking for Nikon, I just did a search for Nikon to try and find lenses that could possibly be used with my D90, but that's not important. I'm going to go look at all brands now, but wasn't sure if any of these are good. It was mentioned that I shouldn't get a zoom lens, so if I get any of the above that have lenses, I will look for a 50mm lens that is compatiable with them. There wasn't any packaged together that were a reasonable price. I'm trying to stay under 50$ before shipping.

I've seen Canon EOS A2's go for under $50 without the shipping. The older EOS 630/650/620 models sometimes really surprise me how low they go. IF you are staying with Nikon brand, do look at the N70/N80/N90 models and their differences.

If you decide to go with Minolta for whatever reason (they are often the cheapest brand used), here is a decent reference site: Minolta/Konica Minolta/Sony Alpha camera bodies

I have a vintage Nikon F3 Motor Drive and love it, I still brake it out during some shoots just to offer my clients some nostalgic rolls of true film. This camera is legendary and released on the professional level when sold. For a everyday work horse I have my Canon Elan 7ne just because it's more advanced but used properly the Nikon F3 might out preform it, and the F3 is built like a freakin' tank. LOL (FYI, I have an extra grip for the Elan series if you chose an Elan its the Canon BP 300 and fits a variety of Canons)

4345650128_980a060c38_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back