Question about filters.

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by dgore, Dec 12, 2006.

1. dgore

dgore TPF Noob!

All of my lenses have UV filters on them. I was wanting to try a circular polarizer. Do I lose anything by just screwing it into the UV filter or is it better to take the UV filter off?

2. PetersCreek

PetersCreek TPF Noob!

You'll always lose a little bit by adding more glass/plastic in front of a lens...but it may not be enough to really notice if everything is of sufficient quality.

If your lens is a wide-angle model, though, you may experience vignetting from the extra filter bezel.

Something else to consider...going without the UV filter. I was from the old school that believed in protecting the lens front element with a UV filter. Now, I'm of the mindset that if I've spent princely sums on great glass, why obscure it with more (cheaper) glass? Front elements today are much more durable than when I first started out...and tiny blems don't seem to degrade image quality significantly.

You pays your money and you takes yer chances.

3. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    with the above poster on this one and only use a polarizer in summer/reflections anyway

4. txshutterbug

txshutterbug TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had always used a UV filter just for protection until one day it had a spot on it so I shot without it. I was very pleased with the result of my images (esp. the popping of the colors) and had left the filter off ever since!

5. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Stacking filters isn't a very good idea. While you can produce ghosting with a UV filter, it is virtually impossible to produce flare. It is, however, possible to produce flare with a stack of filters. Flare will reduce contrast in your images. Use them one at a time and you'll be fine.

6. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't leave a UV filter on my lenses because I use the lens caps anytime they're not in use. (This includes when I turn the camera off.)

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

But it is when they are in use that they need the protection, not when they are not in use!