Question about flash slaves

kajiki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have the D70s. I want to use a single Vivitar 283 off camera in a softbox, on location. Will the integral flash on the camera fire the 283, if I have a peanut slave attached? I seem to recall that there was some issue about ambient light overwhelming the slave? Will be shooting around sundown.

Apart from the camera's own sync limitation, what problems will I encounter? ......probably I will shoot 1/30-1/8th am guessing.

When you use the D70 you will need to take the pop up off ttl and put it into manual.
I used to do this before I bought my monolights and it seems to work well. I also cut the power down on the pop up.

A decent quality slave, like one made by Wein or Vivitar, will often have two levels, low and high. A decent slave will work reliably, every time, even at very high ambient light levels outdoors on a summer day,as well as in a coal-black cave. My slaves are 20+ year old Wein and Vivitar designs,and I have never had any trouble triggering flashes with them,in ANY lighting conditions.

The Vivitar SL-2 has been a remarkable slave trigger. Same with the classic Wein peanut slaves--superb performers. But I have read of people who have had less than good luck with cheap, new Chinese-made slaves marketed at low prices by multitudes of eBay re-sellers.

Again, one of the simplest and most-reliable devices when made by a reputable company works great, but the cheap imitations made for sale by the pallet load might perform differently. I have no cheap slaves,so YMMV.

Thanks. I think I remember the SL-2, a cylindrical unit that can be swivelled? I think I may have a hard time getting hold of one here though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back