Question about Flash systems like CLS

Nope.

However if you use another method to trigger your flashes (ie radio triggers) they can fire any kind of flash.

You can use the hotshoe for your SB and the PC connector for either another flash or a trigger at the same time. I don't know about rear-curtain but in standard flash it works pretty well. I tried it using a Metz for a main bounced off of a reflector and an SB for a little fill and was pleased.

I don't see why you couldn't let the Sb go in commander mode as the PC connector only works when it's time to flash.

Mike I have a suspicion that this may only work in fully manual mode where the SB is set to SU-4 rather than CLS. The excessive preflashing of information back and forth between the CLS enabled units may throw the timing out for the other flashes.

This is something I am dying to test. I need another flash!!!

Actually, there are some METZ and SIGMA flashes that do support iTTL but no manufacturer other than Nikon supports off camera CLS to my knowledge other than Nikon.

There is a reason why they are more expensive than other flashes... they are usually excellent quality speedlights that can work with CLS effectively. That said, CLS flashes are nice but has some very distinct disadvantages such as limited range while using CLS and the higher costs of the flashes in general.

Ever since I have learned how to mix and match iTTL and non-iTTL light sources harmoniously, I find that my needs for using as many speedlights has diminished. I'm typically using 1 maybe 2 light sources vs 4-5 before and accomplishing nicer results.

Garbz, jus an fyi- with a Metz you don't really need CLS. Their auto function is so accurate and consistent (they may be as much as a stop off but they will stay the same every time) that as long as you have them pointed towards the target (the opening that allows the light which meters their output in the front of the flash) and the target is in range they will give you the aperture you want. Even if you are bouncing the flash you will still get what you dialed in.

I had 3 of them before my SB600 walked away. I have 4 now. I didn't replace the SB.

I'm not worried about the accuracy of the flash. Heck even if it worked in fully Manual it would be fantastic. The question is will it sync at all if one of the flashes is triggered by CLS. So remote SB-800 in CLS (even fired in manual possibly), and a Metz on a cable.

I wonder if the PC Sync socket will sync correctly against a flash triggered with CLS.

Most reactions

Back