question about FX

den9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
they say dx lenses are recommended with fx format, would the new D700 work with my dx lenses? will there be new fx lenses or would that just be the same as the regular lenses. also fx mean having a 50mm lens actually mean ur focal length is a true 50mm? thanks in advance. :D

DX lenses will work on a D700 but will only cover part of the sensor (you will only get a 5MP image with DX lenses). If you want to use the D700 to its full capacity you really should buy lenses that will cover the full frame sensor. I don't think those lenses are called FX, they are just non-DX lenses. And yes, by definition, there is no crop factor with a full frame sensor. So a 50mm on a full frame sensor camera will give the same field of view as it would on a 24x36mm piece of film.

while on the subject, does that mean my DX 12-24 lens on my D50 mean it makes a true 12mm focal length image?

It makes a true 12mm focal length image circle (of light), but the sensor isn't big enough so you get a "cropped" version of this image. So yes it is an image at 12mm focal length, but with the edges chopped off.

So yes it is an image at 12mm focal length, but with the edges chopped off.

Which of course puts you right back at square one. A DX lens on an FX camera will act like a DX lens on a DX camera, the only difference being sensor resolution.

Unless you mount it on an old film body which doesn't know what a DX lens is, you will not notice any change.

ok so it sounds like i didnt waste 900 bucks on a lens if i ever wanted to upgrade to FX. garbz you been a great help, thanks alot!

ok so it sounds like i didnt waste 900 bucks on a lens if i ever wanted to upgrade to FX. garbz you been a great help, thanks alot!

Well, remember that you will only use 5 MP of the full frame sensor with any DX lens. The D700 is not exactly cheap and it would be a pity to use less than half its resolution IMHO.

Last edited:
Well, remember that you will only use 5 MP of the full frame sensor with any DX lens. The D700 is not exactly cheap and it would be a pity to use less than half its resolution IMHO.

I would disagree.

What is it with this forum and the stupid resolution fetish. I'd prefer a D700 at 5mpx than my D200 at 10.2mpx. I'd also prefer if walking around the city to carry a 10mm DX fisheye which weights a whole 300g instead of the 6mm FX fisheye which is a tad over 5kg.

Buying a DX lens for an FX camera is a waste of money IF and ONLY IF you are not going to use it. I mean likewise you're saying people were wasting their money getting old FX lenses because Nikon at the time didn't have an FX camera, and you're wasting half the glass. Use the gear you have and be happy!

In the current line-up 12mm I think is the widest, but the aforementioned 6mm 5kg behemoth I think takes the overall crown for Nikon lenses past and future.

A preference towards prints larger than 4x6?
I said 5mpx not 2.16mpx.

i heard a 18 is pretty damn wide on a full frame camera anyway

and lol at the 4x6 comment

if you are investing in a D700, I would invest in FX lenses and use your D50 as backup with the DX lenses. . .optimal combo on the D700 would be a Nikkor 14-24, 50, and 70-200; total bill would be nearly $5.3k ($2700 for body, $1500 for 14-24, $450 for new 50mm prime, and $699 for Tamron 70-200 f/2.8). Worthwhile upgrade to consider. . . .but prices will probably drop by January 2009.

Most reactions

Back