Question about Hasselblad Models and Focus Accuracy

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a 500C/M that is experiencing some back focusing. I understand that there's a common issue with the foam that holds the mirror in place, and as a result, these cameras tend to have this sort of focusing problem.

Are the newer cameras with the gliding mirror system, such as the 503CW, less prone to focusing inaccuracy?

Foam that holds the mirror in place? What foam is holding the mirror in place? There's no foam holding the mirror in place in a 500CM.

I'm also not aware of any tendency to focus problems in the 500CM. I would first suspect your focus screen and then have a hard look at the film back and insert. Are you sure you're loading the film correctly? Failure to get the film in the channel would cause back focus:

film_insert.jpg

Does it focus correctly when the lens is set to infinity?

Joe

Whens the last time the camera was serviced? It may be time for a trip to David Odess for a full CLA (he is the best). I had mine CLA'ed before I even considered using it, I bought it knowing it had been sitting for a long time. The Mirror can get out of alignment and it most likely needs a good oiling anyway.

You can also have the lens its self overhauled but I would have the body looked at first.

Since you have the 500C/M with the interchangeable screens you should make sure that the area where the screen goes is clean of debris (old foam bits, dirt etc.) and that the screen is mounting flush in the channel. If the screen is mounting improperly the focus will be off as the lens -> mirror -> screen distance will be different than the lens->film distance. You should also make sure that the metal rim around the screen is not bent or completely missing this would also potentially cause the screen to mount improperly.

The film backs can also have issues and it is possible the film is not being held taught or the back is not properly linking to the body.

Regards
Dave

Thanks for this: I'm having the same issue (1997 501cm) and have emailed Dave Odess for details on a cleaning.

Most reactions

Back