Question about Image Stabilization

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If I have a 70-300 IS lens and I put an extension tube on it for macro, will my IS still work as long as I have enough light? What if I put a teleconverter? ( assuming I can obtain enough light by upping ISO or using flash etc. ?

It depends which extension tube you are using.

If the extension tube has the electronic contacts necessary to get data from the camera to the lens and back again, it should. However, to do macro the camera/lens should really be on a tripod, which means IS gets turned off.

With a TC, the same deal. The lens and camera have to be able to communicate through the TC. Most TC's have that capability.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have specified. Yes, both would have electronic connections. I know they rate IS in stops, but if you have ample light ( daytime outdoors ) I figured you could lose 2 or even 3 stops of light and still have the IS do its magic. Wanted to make sure I wasn't under the wrong impression.

At the longer focal length where the max. aperture is f/5.6, AF maybe affected with the TC.

Yeah, AF would definately be affected unless I am using f/2.8 glass ( although a 1.4x TC would probably still focus in bright light ) I just mean the IS only. I am prepared to manually focus etc. I just tested out a 2x Kenko TC on my new 70-300 IS USM and the IS still did its job. Compared to using the TC on my 70-300 Tamron NON-IS it was like night and day. I am thinking of getting a pro level 1.4x or POSSIBLY a 2x but I think I would rather maintain AF and only use a 1.4x

Most reactions

Back