Question About Importing RAW Files In Photoshop 5.1

cfiiman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place but I didn't see another forum that would be better. Could anyone tell me how to view just the RAW .CR2 file in Photoshop? I'm using CS 5.1 but every time I import a RAW image it automatically applies a picture profile to it and the only time I can see the flat image of the RAW is in the tiny thumbnail when looking through the file icons. Even if I just open it with picture viewer it applies some kind of "style" to it so I'm not sure what is going on. I'd like to be able to post the RAW flat image for review vs the retouches I do but can't seem to figure out how to do it.

You can't. And why are you assuming a raw image is flat?

All raw converters have to process the raw file simply to show it to you and that processing has a "spin" on it. They apply a tone curve -- they have to, and they all do it differently. So if you're using Adobe to manage your raw files you're going to see "Adobe" reflected in your image just to get it displayed on the screen.

Joe

You can't. And why are you assuming a raw image is flat?

All raw converters have to process the raw file simply to show it to you and that processing has a "spin" on it. They apply a tone curve -- they have to, and they all do it differently. So if you're using Adobe to manage your raw files you're going to see "Adobe" reflected in your image just to get it displayed on the screen.

Joe

Ok, now I understand. Not sure why I "assumed" it was flat, guess I just did. That makes sense to me now. I guess the reason I was asking was b/c I took 3 of each photo in RAW mode, one with Standard picture setting, one with a User Defined 1 setting and then last a User Defined 2 picture setting. On the small icons inside a folder I open I can see a difference in each of of the small photo icons, from very flat (user defined 1 setting) to very contrasted/bright (Standard picture setting). I guess this means that the picture style is irrelevant when shooting RAW then? Thanks for your help.

RAW is RAW. That said, RAW editors such as Adobe's Camera RAW have a set of defaults they follow when opening a RAW file.

The picture styles on the camera are applied to the image when (and if) the camera makes a JPEG of the image. If you shoot RAW only, the style info is written in the RAW file but most RAW editors won't use it. If you shoot RAW+JPEG, the RAW and the JPEG will look different when you bring them into Photoshop, as the RAW will not have the style, only Camera RAW defaults.

Nikon's ViewNX software applies the styles when viewing Nikon NEF RAW files, but Adobe's Camera RAW does not.

FWIW
Photoshop 5 came out in May of 1998.

What you probably have is Photoshop 12 (April 2010), also known as Photoshop CS 5 (Camera Raw 6/Bridge 4).

Nikon's Picture Styles is proprietary software that Nikon does not provide to Adobe.
That's why Nikon's View NX/NX2 can apply Nikon Picture Styles to a NEF file but Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) cannot.

As it is - Adobe has to reverse engineer the NEF file type each new Nikon camera uses so that ACR can open those files.
So Nikon makes cameras today that use a NEF file CS 5 Camera Raw cannot open because Adobe stopped updating CS 5 when they released CS 6 (Photoshop 13/Camera Raw 7). They stopped updating CS 6 when they released Photoshop CC (Photoshop 14/Camera Raw 8).

Photoshop CC 2014 (Photoshop 15/Camera Raw 8) is the current version of Photoshop.

ACR is the Raw converter used in Photoshop Camera Raw, and Lightroom's Develop module.
A de-featured version of ACR is included with Photoshop Elements.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back