Question about KODAK DCS 760's shutter life.

Lawliet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi The Photo Forum,

this is my first post here but I've enjoyed surfing around and reading incredibly good posts. so I decided to ask my question here.

I am going to purchase an used Kodak DCS 760, the thing is I am pretty worry about its shutter actuation. I work in a studio-like condition so I don't think there would be any damage to the body. The only problem now is the matter of the shutter's life span.

I love hearing the sound of the shutter so I often keep taking pictures even it is unnecessary. I owned a Canon EOS 300d and I scored around 14000 shots within the first two weeks so the problem of shutter actuation really makes me worried. Since the Kodak DCS 760 is a discontinued model, can I get my shutter fixed if it happens to be broken? And the replaced shutter will be a new shutter or an old one taken from another used DCS 760?

I know the fee would be around 200 bucks but I'm willing to pay it if something bad happens. It is just that I don't want to buy that super cool camera to use for only two or three years, I want it to last longer, say, 5 or 6 years. Also my budget is pretty much constrained, I don't think I can purchase a new camera in the next 5 years. And I just fall in love with this powerful machine. So probably I think the shutter will eventually broken and I will need to fix it.

I really need an answer to consider about my choice whether I will buy a dSLR camera. So all replies will be highly appreciated!

Thank you very much.

Hard to say if they recondition it or replace it. Given that it's discontinued they may replace it with a reconditioned shutter.

Either way The canon would be more of a concern. The 300d would have a shutter MTTF of around 40000 actuations (can anyone confirm?)

The Kodak DCS 760 being built in a professional Nikon body would be much closer if not greater than 100000.

Most reactions

Back