Question about lens on D80?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by realitycheck3907, Oct 5, 2008.

1. realitycheck3907

realitycheck3907 TPF Noob!

Hey guys I was looking at this 50mm Nikkor lens to get for my Nikon D80. http://www.adorama.com/NK5018AFDU.html

I know with the D80 there is a difference in mm of the lens once you put it on the camera. I think they call it crop factor or something, im not sure. Anyway once you put this lens on the camera what will the mm actually be??

2. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon DX format has a crop factor of 1.5x. Multiplying 50mm by 1.5 gives you a 75mm.

That's a great lens btw.

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I was also confused by those number as well in the past. And thanks to Big Mike corrected me.

So basically, the 50mm lens when mounted on your camera, it is still a 50mm lens. The 1.5x crop factor basically means when it compare to a regular 35mm film camera or a DSLR with a full frame sensor camera (same size as the 35mm film). Due to the small sensor in your camera, the field of view is some what similar to a 75mm lens on a film/full frame camera.

4. realitycheck3907

Alright thanks for the help guys. Any of you guys using this lens on the D80 or similar sensor cameras. Do you think it's too close of a lens??
    Sorry I dont know the right word for it.

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    It just means that 50mm is a very short telephoto lens on the D80. On a full-frame camera (35mm film or FX sensor), it's considered a "normal" field of view.

I use a 50mm f/1.8 on my D40 (same crop factor as D80). Occasionally, I find it a wee bit long, but, for the other 90% of the time, it's just right.

6. realitycheck3907

Thanks guys. So it's definately worth spending the hundred bucks on?

7. A&A_Lane

A&A_Lane TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have this lens and it's definitely WELL worth the $. It's one of my favorite portrait lens. Plus, it usually does fantastic in low light conditions.:D