Question about lenses (d40x/d40)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Antithesis, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been looking into getting a faster prime lens for my d40x and I was curious if you can only use DX lenses? The lens I want to get is here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1902

Do they make something similar for the d40x, or will this fit? I just want to get something this fast, I don't mind it being prime (as I can't drop a grand on a zoom lens that isn't even this fast), or does someone have a suggestion for something similar?

Pardon my newbness, I'm still learning.

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't have to use DX lenses, but if you want autofocus you need the AF-S lenses with the servo inside them, not the plain AF lenses. Sigma do make a 30 mm f/1.4 HSM that should work with the D40 and D40x, but I have had problems getting that lens to focus with some examples of the D40x. Sigma say that they will calibrate the camera/lens combination if we send it in to them.

Best,
    Helen

3. Antithesis

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking somewhere around 50mm, as 30mm might be too wide for an all-around lens. So I'd have to send my camera body into sigma?

4. D40

D40 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't think so but I really don't know. I am saving for the
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM because it is cheaper than the Nikon AF-S 20-200mm f/2.8. I read great things about them as well. Good luck:)

5. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not necessarily. You may be lucky. If at all possible try the lens with your camera before buying it.

A lot of people, including me, consider a 35 mm, 40 mm or 50 mm to be a good single lens for full frame 35 mm, and the 30 mm on a D40 comes close to a 50 mm on full frame.

Best,
    Helen

6. Keith Gebhardt

Keith Gebhardt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes that lense you are buying is compatable with your d40x. However you realize thats a portrait lense rite?

and im gonna assume your a beginner to photography being you have a small camera and dont know anything about lenses.

Its great to move up to f./2.8 but id first get somthing about 18-200 f/3.5 and practice with that alot. It gives you the close and distance to practice almost any shot.

The 50mm your looking at is fixed. Yea its great for low light. But think of the practical use youd have for it. do you have flashes? or on camera flash. Diffrent scenarios like that make a lot of diffrences in a photographers work.

7. Antithesis

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I just find myself getting frustrated with my two kit lenses in anything but perfect light. I really don't mind it being a prime lens and having to move around to get a good shot, I'm just tired of blurred images from a slow shutter speed. I obviously have a lot to learn, but I found the above lens on ebay for a 100 bucks, and it sounded like a good place to start.

And I'm obviously a newb, but you gotta start somewhere. I have an 18-55 and 55-200, but they are both slow as can be and I'd like something that I don't need a tripod in any light that is remotely poor. And considering I live in Portland, we have about 6 months of overcast weather starting in a week or two. Woe is me.

8. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just bear in mind that the 50 mm f/1.4 AF Nikkor D will not autofocus on the D40x so you will have to focus it manually, using the focus assist. You might find that a manual focus Nikkor is easier to use when focusing manually - the focus ring of the manual focus version has more movement. It's not a big thing, just something to be aware of. I would recommend trying one of these lenses before buying, so that you have some idea of what it is like to get accurate manual focus with a 50 mm lens at f/1.4 on the D40x.

Best,
    Helen

9. Keith Gebhardt

Keith Gebhardt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i see. well its wonderful to see new photographers always learning the art. Yes, a faster lense will help you out in your low light situations.

However.. im not sure if a prime lense will suit your needs.

Tell me some things:
    Whats your budget roughly?
    what are your intrests as far as shooting?

How fast you want to go.. f/2.8, 2, 1.8, 1.4? (keep in mind theres a drastic price diffrence between each stop. a f/3.5 might be $600, f/2.8 might be $1500 etc.

you said you dont mind moving around to get a good shot.. depending on what your shooting, you cant always move to a good location to shoot what you want..especially from 50mm.

10. Antithesis

Photos OK to edit
    My budget is pretty limited, I want to be able to muck around with out too dropping too much. I saw these lenses for cheap as can be on ebay which prompted this discussion. Also, a good friend of mine who does wedding photography was telling me how much fun he's been having with this same lens on his d100 (he uses d200's for work, he's just had the d100 for a while).

I'm still kind of figuring out what it is I want to shoot. My best shots have been close up photography, but I'm still learning. I really like the idea of doing cool landscape photography, but I still have so much to learn about framing and composure. It's pretty obvious I'm just getting into photography, so I think the more things I try, the sooner I'll find a knack for a particular type of photography.

11. lambchop4444

lambchop4444 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would personally get a Nikon Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D. You can't adjust the zoom or anything, but they're cheap and good for low lighting. Great for me, being a live photographer