Question about making money from Photography

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Should I one day decide I'm confident enough to make some extra money with photography and taking portraits of people. Is it going to look silly if I'm using my small Rebel XS? Will this instantly make me lose credibility with people? Is there a certain stigma attached to getting paid while not using a more professional camera?

i think it depends on your clientele.. most people wouldnt know the difference..

It depends on the client. I have seen a few photographers take stunning pictures with basic SLR cameras. If a client does ask you about your gear, kindly mention to them that the skill of the photographer is more important than the camera. I know many people who spent lots of $$$ on fancy equipment and still can't take a decent picture.

Last edited:
Tiger Woods could beat over 99% of the worlds golfers using a generic set of clubs from Walmart.

It's the end result that matters, not the gear.

That said, more "professional" equipment will make the job of taking great photos easier... if you know how to take advantage of those features.

Buy yourself the accessory grip, mount the camera to a beefy professional grade tripod, and put a compendium lens shade on the lens and much of your image problem will be resolved.

There 'is' however something of a stigma to shooting for pay with entry-level equipment,and it basically revolves around shooting with equipment that is very similar to what your non-photographer clients might happen to own. While individual clients in some areas might not are what you shoot with, other people who buy photographs or photographic services have expectations of pro-level equipment in the camera, lens,and lighting/grip field.

Professional tools will make it easier to get great results, under a wider range of situations, than you can get with modest, entry-level gear. Nobody in his or her right mind would shoot a night football game with an 18-55 f/3.5~5.6 kit lens if a better lens were available.

Stick a battery grip on the ole XS, makes it look bigger and therefore better lol.

PROTIP: Don't deliver the final product in an envelope that says "Walmart Photo".

If you're going Pro, you can do 2 things here.
Consider upgrades to your equipment as an investment in yourself and your career.

Write off, and amoritize your write-offs for your equipment on your taxes for up to 5 years. (Consult a tax attorney for specifics).

The new stuff might pay for itself, if your good and you get referals and more work.

Remember, you're no longer an amateur/hobbiest, you're a business person.

J.:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back