Question about Nikkor lenses

savigdor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i currntly own a nikkon F80 with 2 lenses:
24-85 2.8-4, 70-300 G (the low end)

i'm about to get the D200 and want to upgrade my lenses as well.
In my research i've see on the nikkon site that there are DX lenses :
arrow_01_01.gif

DX (for Nikon DX Format Digital SLRs)
can anyone explain to me what DX lenses are? do they, and if so, how do they differ from regular lenses? and will these lenses not be suitable for the D200?

also - i'm looking at the site of a big photo equip. store in NY and they ahow lenses imported or domestic - at different prices (imported being cheeper) - what is the differance and why the price differance?

i would be greatfull for a responce,
thanks - Savi

The DX lenses are made for the digital sized frame. They will work just fine on the D200 but won't fill the full 35mm frame on your F80. If you want to be able to use the lenses on both bodies then the DX lenses aren't for you. :)

TBaraki answered the first question well, so I'll address your second question. The difference between USA and Imported is the warranty. With the USA price (higher) you get the full warranty, can go to any authorized Nikon dealer/repair business and get warranty coverage should a problem arise. The Imported price represents what is commonly referred to as the "gray market". It is not illegal to sell, but they circumvent the usual channels in distribution and therefore Nikon will not support repair or at least under warranty. From what I understand the equipment under both conditions is the same and of the same quality, so selecting the imported flavor is not a downgrade, just understand that if the equipment fails while under warranty, you are on your own. I guess to say another way... you pay's your money and you take your chances.

just understand that if the equipment fails while under warranty, you are on your own. I guess to say another way... you pay's your money and you take your chances.

You are on your own after the warranty as well. Nikon USA will not service a product they didn't import for any reason before or after warranty. You will need to send your equipment to another country to get service.

You are on your own after the warranty as well. Nikon USA will not service a product they didn't import for any reason before or after warranty. You will need to send your equipment to another country to get service.

Good point and glad you were able to clarify it. I thought this to be the case but as I was unsure, I did not want to report bad info. This does raise another question however. Certainly Nikon will not repair, but what about independent camera repair facilities that are not associated with any specific brand?

The thing is that the camera will be bought for me in the U.S. then brought over to me to be used outside the U.S.
As i understand it, a U.S. warranty is valid (or accepted) ONLY in the U.S. meaning i wont be able to use it where i live anyway...
I could get an international warranty (?), but the local Nikon where i live will not accept it - only a warranty for equipment bought localy.

thanks you for your replies, you've been helpful
Savi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back