Question about photo...

definitive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Alright guys,

So my wife took this photo with our Rebel XT.

2670612330_c3d5a6756d.jpg

Link to bigger version.

I have been seriously debating getting a 40D. She took the picture with our 50mm lens at 1.4 and prob 1800. Whatever the auto ISO wouold be in AV mode.

The question is about the noise all around my son. She did agreat job with the photo, but I am wondering how much nicer this would have been with a 40D instead. Would we see a huge difference?

Thanks,
D

I don't know that the XT has 'auto ISO'. Maybe you could check the EXIF info to know what ISO that was shot at.

It's not terribly noisy but it is noticeable.

I'm fairly certain that the 40D will perform better than the Rebel XT...but I don't know how to quantify just how much better it would be. It will still be susceptible to noise at higher ISO...as all cameras are.

I think it's a wonderful picture.

The pic would probably be no different with the 40D given the same lens and the same camera settings. Try and keep your ISO as low as possible no matter what camera you're shooting with.

I've been a member here who almost never responds to any of the forums. I just lay back and take the advice of others. But anyway I've had my XT for a few years and just now bought the 40D myself. The reason that I waited so long is because of my basic belief that everyone should first invest in the best lenses that you can afford. The xt has so many features that made it a good buy. I just got back from a week at Yosemite and all I took was the xt, it produced amazing shots, and now that I have the 40 I still plan to use the xt alot. Buy some good glass first I guess is my opinion. By the way... nice photo and cute baby !

Of course the 40D is a much better camera than the Rebel. But that would have no effect on this image! If you used the same lens on both cameras for a shot like this they'd be virtually identical, except for max size & resolution.

What you're seeing here isn't Noise. It's a minimal depth of focus.

At close range and shot wide open (at least it appears that way) your max DOF is probably less than 1 inch. So your baby's nose, chin, mouth and left eye are in focus, while everything else - in front of and behind that plane - is out of focus.

Nothing to do with the camera at all.

By the way, it's a GREAT shot!

actually if you shot it with a 40D everything would be different, color, composition, even the subject!

Buy some good glass first I guess is my opinion
It appears that the lens is question is the 50mm F1.4...a very good lens.

Of course the 40D is a much better camera than the Rebel. But that would have no effect on this image! If you used the same lens on both cameras for a shot like this they'd be virtually identical, except for max size & resolution.

What you're seeing here isn't Noise. It's a minimal depth of focus.

At close range and shot wide open (at least it appears that way) your max DOF is probably less than 1 inch. So your baby's nose, chin, mouth and left eye are in focus, while everything else - in front of and behind that plane - is out of focus.

Nothing to do with the camera at all.
I respectfully disagree.

I don't think the issue is the DOF at all. In the large version, the noise is clearly visible in areas that in focus and areas that are not. The 40D uses a newer sensor and a newer processor and all that goes along with that. By all accounts, the 40D shows less noise than the cameras below it in the Canon line up. I've been told that it even rivals the 5D which has a full frame sensor....which is because the 40D has the newer technology (Digic 3) etc.

I stick by my first statement that the 40D would indeed help improve the image quality here, in terms of noise anyway. But exactly how much, I don't know.

I guess nobody knows how to take a joke..........

:er:

I guess nobody knows how to take a joke..........

:er:

;)

Or some one's just joking with you.

You guys should see an image I just had printed to hang in the bar...er...my basement. It's a panned shot that's sharpened a lot and converted to B&W. It was printed at 16x24 by WHCC and there's a bit of noise, a lot less than was visible in editing on the screen, but in print it looks amazing and the noise/grain/whatever you want to classify it as at that point doesn't subtract from the image whatsoever. The simple black letterbox border makes it a killer image. I'll have to take a picture of my picture.

Most reactions

Back