Question about Photoshop CS and RAW images

optic79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have photoshop CS. I am shooting RAW images for the first time with my Canon 40D. Photoshop is not able to process the RAW images I have uploaded to my computer. I read that a plug-in needs to be downloaded from Adobe in order to process the RAW images. I downloaded the latest RAW plug-in from Adobe that supported Canon 40d. However, now PS states that the latest plug-in from adobe is incompatable with this older version of photoshop.

My question is what do I need for Photoshop CS to be compatable with RAW images taken from a Canon 40D?

My question is what do I need for Photoshop CS to be compatable with RAW images taken from a Canon 40D?
Strictly speaking, I don't think it's possible...but there are options.

#1. Upgrade photoshop to CS3 or CS4 etc.
#2. Use you Canon software (EOS utility or Digital Photo Pro) to convert the RAW images to TIFF or JPEG, then you can open those files in photoshop.
#3. Get some other software to convert the RAW files. Adobe Lightroom would be top of my list.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm in the same pickle my friend, I wont upgrade as I feel 10 years adobe ripoffs enough, so, with my d300 files I first convert to adobe dng then use ACR to again convert the dng's, its a pain but gets you there, I also have another program, toneup s3 which does the job but I'm not impressed with user controls so it just sits on the desktop, hope this helps. H

Download the Adobe DNG Converter (it's free). Convert your 40D raw files to DNG. Then ACR will be able to open them, and you can process them as normal.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

I think CS3 is the earliest Photoshop that will open CR2 files from the 40D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back