Question about Props

tomshap

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been making stage props for several years, mostly out of foam but also other materials. The other day I ran across someone selling photography props, several of which were made out of foam, all I could easily make more economically. My question is, how often do you photographers really use props? I can see using letters and numbers for babies and graduating seniors, plus seasonal props such as eggs for Easter, hearts for valentines, etc. But, is there any demand for this or do you just make your own? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

You need to hit more forums dude.

On forums where there are a lot of working portrait photographers props are discussed daily. Everyone is kept up-to-date where to get oversize cups to put babies in or how to landscape the backyard for shooting seniors.

Most of the studios I have seen using props made of foam, are pretty big and have 2 to 6 sets. Most of the sets I have seen were homemade.

Though you may be able to make props like those others you have seen, more economicaly, it's not likely you'd be able to make a business of it and sell what you make for much less than the other prop makers. You wind up having to add in business costs above and beyond your manufactuing costs.

I'm sure not saying it's impossible, but many people are surprised to find out how little profit many businesses actually make. That's where volume comes into play. There are a ton of people getting into the photography business and some of them will be interested in buying readymade foam props. Most of those getting into the business today, won't still be in business a year from today. (4 out of 5 don't make it beyond the second year.)

Thanks for the reply, probably right about costs, but you never know until you try. So other than this one, can you recommend any forums I should be checking?

Tom

Most reactions

Back