Question about RAW

Yes, my Nikon camera saves RAW files on the memory card in .NEF extention files.
If I like to open a .NEF extention in photoshop, it gives errors because it can't be opened.
I have to convert the .NEF file to a .DNG file and than photoshop want finally opens the .DNG file.
Than I can start editing the .DNG (raw) file and finally save it as .JPG to put it on the net...

RAW does take longer to process than an out-of-the-camera JPEG due to the extra step.

If/when I shoot 300 images maybe 10 are "keepers". I select the keepers in the RAW conversion program, then I color balance, lighten-darken, adjust contrast, saturation, sharpening, noise reduction (if required) and lens correction (if applicable) then convert to JPEG. Often, I'll also do a JPEG curve in the Raw program as well. SO while it is an additional step, 80%-90% of the processing is performed in the RAW program.

Then I import the JPEGS to PS for final polishing which consists of cropping (if required) and selective burning and/or dodging.

So while RAW takes more time, mmmmhhh ... not all that much more. All global changes are done in my RAW processing program, even cropping and cloning can be handled by most RAW processing programs. I use PS for manipulating selective areas and layers.

Gary

Most reactions

Back