question about RAW

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JimmyJaceyMom, Jul 16, 2007.

1. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey I'm sorry I dont where to put this... I never shoot in RAW because I dont have enough memory on my computer to download the files to it when I am done all of the time. BUT here is the problem..,
    I have my first job tonight doing headshots for a businaessman's website. Turns out my main light course blew up (literally) last night and so I wont have a new one available. If I shoot in RAW and it is underexposed will I be able to rescue the pictures or no?

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I wouldn't take anything I say on this one as definitive, but as I understand things, RAW files have a greater dynamic range so there is a better chance of recovering something from the situation you describe, though as you might expect, there are limits to everything. Given the size that a website image is likely to be, I'd suggest upping the ISO rating above where you'd normally set it. Unless you plan on doing larger prints from the same files, the chances are that the difference won't be noticeable.

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, one can make a lot of corrections if needed with raw files.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Still, it's best not to underexpose in the first place. ;)

5. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would probably try and bracket the images also. It might help to have an exposure that is overexposed, since it is going to be underexposed anyway. That with RAW is how I would shoot it. :mrgreen:

6. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that sounds like a possibility. I might try it a few different ways since we have time and the camera settings after all, are easy to chenge. ;) I hadn't htought of it that way.Thanks for the help.

7. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cool. Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

8. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :) I understand that haha. I just am not sure with that big light down that I can do it so well. I'm nervous. This is the first time I am doing something paid that isnt a friend or a friend of a friend. I need to get it right so i want to cover all angles. thank you for replying! :)

9. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey that is an excellent idea. I'll set everything up and stick my husband in the guys place to see what's going to happen maybe!

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    RAW is not a magic bullet. You can make corrections. You can make corrections in JPEG too. The point is there is less posterisation (sudden subtle jumps in brightness values) when working with a RAW. The processed image looks slightly better but if you underexpose by say 1stop and bring it up in post processing you will end up with an image with weird contrast, and often incorrect colours which requires a bit of work to get looking normal again. Not to mention that you are effectively pulling the noise from the shadow into the image.

Shoot RAW anyway but I would consider rather than underexposing, is to bite the bullet and increase the ISO, take a tripod or monopod, and ask the subject to stay as still as possible.

11. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Oops. I bet you will always have spare bulbs after this one. I would first consider how you are going to light them. Beg, borrow or steal a strobe. Also consider the lamp behind the bed sheet. Consider rescheduling. Raw will definitely help. Mostly in the colour temp area. Again. You will be able to open the exposure considerably, but the image will quickly deteriorate.

Love & Bass

12. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you for that input, you explained that very well. When I did some test ones with my husband there I did end up increasing the ISO and it was working nicely. Too bad the guy ditched me LOL!
    I set all that crap up and made my husband come home form work early and he never showed HAHAHAHA ROFLMAO for being so worried about it!