Question about reflex mirror lenses

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Chef Evans, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Chef Evans

Chef Evans New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone,
    New member here, slowly making the transition from amatuer to not-so amatuer. I need some input about mirror reflex lenses, pros and cons and just general opinions from users who have experience with them.

Thanks,
    Chef
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +9,827 / 0
    We had a short thread on this on the 15th, located here:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...o-gallery/186811-mirror-lens.html#post1777030

There is a link I put in there to a 4-page on-line article about using mirror lenses, written by the late,great photography writer Herbert Keppler. The link begins on page 2 of the 4-page article.

Mirror lenses are often 500mm lengths, but there have also been some shorter ones, like 250 and 300mm models; I bought my first mirror lens in 1985, a Celestron 300mm f/5.6 in Nikon mount, which is a pretty small,lightweight mirror lens, of only average quality.
  3. Chef Evans

Chef Evans New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That certainly puts me in the right direction, thank you for the link. I may pick one up purely for the experience with using it, so I can make comparisons with other lenses in the future. Right now i'm still finding good use for my Sony 300 mm. I seem to have the best luck in happening upon good shots with this lens.