Question about SB900 off camera

arkuro

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking of buying a nikon speedlight SB900. I havenot bought it yet and was just researching what all i can do with it. On one of the links I read that when u r firing SB900 off camera (wireless)... the inbuilt flash on the camera also fires. I have a D90

1)so I am confused that if the flash on the camera will fire wont it ruin the exposure or am I wrong in understanding this?

2)Another thing is how can u prevent from firing this inbuilt flash while using SB900 in off camera mode.

3) If we can not prevent from firing this flash how can we avoid affecting the exposure?

The CLS system requires the built-in flash to send a pre-flash to fire the SB900. This occurs almost instantaneously and cannot be seen by the naked eye. You can set the built-in to (--) via the menus, which supposedly does not affect the scene. For the most part, this is true.... for the most part. Read your manuals on the setup, both camera and flash manuals.

However, at close range, with reflective subjects, this just doesn't hold water. See this link.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...7323-using-sb-600-wirelessly.html#post1943300

The other issue with CLS is the IR firing. While indoors this is usually a non-issue or can be circumvented by bouncing the pre-flash, outdoors in bright sunlight, you may have firing problems (receiver sensing the pre-flash).

CLS is a great way to off-camera flash, but it's not the bees knees.

The CLS system requires the built-in flash to send a pre-flash to fire the SB900. This occurs almost instantaneously and cannot be seen by the naked eye. You can set the built-in to (--) via the menus, which supposedly does not affect the scene. For the most part, this is true.... for the most part. Read your manuals on the setup, both camera and flash manuals.

However, at close range, with reflective subjects, this just doesn't hold water. See this link.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...7323-using-sb-600-wirelessly.html#post1943300

The other issue with CLS is the IR firing. While indoors this is usually a non-issue or can be circumvented by bouncing the pre-flash, outdoors in bright sunlight, you may have firing problems (receiver sensing the pre-flash).

CLS is a great way to off-camera flash, but it's not the bees knees.

Thanks a lot.. so no way to stop that flash..will figure out a way to block it somehow though :)

Kundalini pretty much hit it.

Another disadvantage to CLS... forget about using it in your current configuration if you attempt doing portrait work. 90% of the time, the pre-flashes will cause your subject to blink....... just as the main flash(es) are going off.

Thanks a lot.. so no way to stop that flash..will figure out a way to block it somehow though :)
The only other options (that I can think of right now) are to use an SB800, SB900 or SU800 as the master (Commander) mounted on the hotshoe and triggering another optical slave flash unit off camera.

reading the answers is discouraging me to buy a speedlight.. (one I mean) :(... is it really that bad? :(

I was wondering about this myself since I just got a D5000 but haven't bought into flash units yet.

Just doing a little research, and speculation on my part, are there not 3rd party cables that attach to the hotshoe on the camera but allow you to remote the Speedlight? This fools the camera into thinking the flash is on-camera (thus disabling the built-in flash), yet still allowing you to remote the flash.

Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Just get ebay triggers people!!! They solve everything unless you like automated stuff .

are there not 3rd party cables that attach to the hotshoe on the camera but allow you to remote the Speedlight? This fools the camera into thinking the flash is on-camera (thus disabling the built-in flash), yet still allowing you to remote the flash.

Yes, there are, but they are typically very short. You can run a PC cord, which can be had in large lengths, but all they do is trigger the flash... not allow CLS control.

The SB600 manual sucks monkey nuts too. So if anyone has a better write up on controlling the damn flash I would ever be so grateful.

I use a SB600 off camera with my D90 and am very happy with the results. When it is off camera, I am doing family portrait stuff with the on-board flash set to --. I have never had an issue with closed eyes due to the on-board flash firing the signal.

Just get ebay triggers people!!! They solve everything unless you like automated stuff .

What's an "ebay trigger?" eBay now makes lighting equipment?

lol No its cheap trigger/receivers that can be had on ebay for cheap like...20 bucks. :D

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=12A3YMVP9XFMTM76F081&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Most reactions

Back