Question About Shooting Through Night Vision Googles

Expyker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am currently deployed in Afghanistan, and my Platoon SGt Showed us the stars through Night Vision Googles(NVGs). Absolutly breathtaking!
Anyway I wanted to take a few pictures, but I only brought my PnS, so I am limited on options. But it brought up an interesting question.

What would be Ideal settings for shooting through NVGs? If I had all the settings availible as if I had a proffesional camera, what would be ideal?

Problems encountered with the PnS were , OOF, or completely washed out. Is this an ISO setting or something else? I can adjust the ISO and I have macro and Super Macro settings. I can also adjust the WB and + or - scale. Any suggestions?

I apologise for not posting the actual photo, but my internet here in the desert is very slow, so here is a link to it on my facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=758955&l=bad51a6793&id=1611514738http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=37134&id=1611514738&l=f1ace09fe7

Last edited:
wow, nobody has any ideas? Figured the gurus here could offer some insight.

When I was in Iraq I used to enjoy looking at the stars through NVGs. Pretty amazing how many we don't see with the naked eye - and even more amazing that they provide enough ambient light for you to see clearly with NVGs.

If a quick snap on super-macro doesn't do it, I'm not sure if you'll be able to get a good result with what you have. I'd maybe try and record a short movie with the camera 'looking through' the goggles, showing just how many stars are visible while panning around the sky.

Good luck, stay careful over there.

That is so awesome of a pic. I am over here in Afghanistan to and I have debated about having my gf ship me my SLR digital camera but I don't want to risk it getting broken. I never would have thought you would be able to take a picture through your NVG's. I'm impressed what kind of pns do you have?

don't take your DSLR to Iraq or Afghanistan please.. I served in both of those theaters as well as Africa.. If there is one thing I can test to from experience its that the sand will get into anything you have there.. You can take incredible care of your equipment and it will still find its way into the lens, the sensor and any other important function..

its not worth it unless you can afford it..

and thank you for you service, I know first hand of the difficulties

Most reactions

Back