Question about taking pics of the Night Sky

EvilCowStare

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there, I have only recently started to get into taking pics of night time and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on taking pics of stars and the best way to get a good deep image of them. I am pretty much a beginner when it comes to playing around with the functions of the camera, the shutter speed I understand, the aperture kinda loses me a bit to be honest. The pic below I just took with automatic aperture and a shutter speed of 15 seconds. I dont have money for filters etc, was just wondering if there is something I can set the camera to do that I am unaware of.

Work.jpg

If the image doesnt work above the please look at www.MiddayMorning.com/Work.jpg
Sorry for the long load !

Thanks For any Advice !! :)

Welcome to the forum evil cow. hehehe great name.

So from your example photo, I'm guessing you want to know how to take star photos without star trails in them.

Hmmm well seeing as though I only ever do the star trail photos, I'm not going to be too much help.
But may I suggest, keeping something in the foreground (like you've sort of done here) like a tree or house etc... so that it's not just a picture of stars.

You could also try hooking your camera up to a telescope. I know there's a few users here who do that. Search for photos by the users PlasticSpanner and Pursuer.

That link was really good thanks. I guess I really need to find a way to take pictures that have enough exposure to get the light but not enough to capture the movement. pfff

Thanks Again :)

Meysha, you know when you walk by a field and suddenly spot a cow watching you, then you look round and see another 3 or 4, they are planning i tell ya! lol

Most reactions

Back