Question about the AE-1 Program

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by WinterNight, Nov 12, 2008.

1. WinterNight

WinterNight TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know that on the AE-1 Program you can set the lens on automatic so the camera selects the aperture for you, and you select the speed manually, but is it possible to set the speed on automatic and the lens aperture on manual so that you can choose the aperture and the camera selects the speed for you? i am still a noob and don't know but about photography and cameras yet.

2. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, Aperture priority came out some time later.

I would need to take a look to find out exactly when but......I think it was in '87 with the EOS launch but I could be wrong.

3. Beccy

Beccy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I could be wrong, as I'm very much a noob too...

I use an AE-1 Program, and to shoot with me selecting the aperture and the camera selecting the speed, I set the aperture and then turn the speed dial (top right dial near the shutter release button) to 'program' - this is written in green on my dial, above the 1000 speed setting.

Hope that helps

4. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

I played with an AE-1 Program a while ago, and I think this is how I remember it working. It should light up a shutter speed on the right side of the viewfinder if I'm thinking of the right camera.

5. malkav41

malkav41 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, according to the Canon camera museum site. The AV-1 was an aperture-priority camera that came out in 1979.

6. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, like I said, I could be wrong. My AE-1 experience is limited to the original AE-1, I know the program is different but.....

*EDIT*
    I had the thread open for a wile before replying.....

I was wrong on that one, like I said I would have needed to look and never got the chance to check and correct my self.

7. Rem

Rem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd tend to agree. I have an AE-1P but its just a set I'm reselling. It's typical that if you can do Prog, you likely can do shutter priority AND Aperture priority. The AE-1 was a shutter priority. Most others of it's era were aperture Priority. A few years later...came cameras able to do both + "program" where the camera chose both.

As I recall....the AV Canon was rather like a Pentax ME,a Nikon EM,a XG-a Minolta in that it was just AE and no true manual. The AE-1P does anything an AE-1 did-including full man.