Question about the lighting

inluft

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys.
I tried to take a pic like this. But I got some problems with the lights.
I'll be glad to get some advices from you.
What do you think:
the power/type of the light is;
the distances between front and back lights and the character are;
mode of the camera (such as ISO, wb balance) should I use, and other advices.
Thank you.

the-killers-just-another-girl.jpg

Last edited:
The basic lighting appears to be a source that's splashed on a wall / reflector / background just out of the frame to the right.

How the fill light on the face is produced is also a big guess. Maybe a reflector, it may be a natural bounce from the setting, it may be a second light.

WB depends on if any gels were used. ISO could be anything. Camera mode is most likely 'ON'.

Now, please go back and change your image to a link as you don't have permission to post the image.

according to the video, this picture from is, we see the source of a light in the frame.
without any reflectors or sources positioned out of the frame.
But it's difficult to reach this look of a light. Usual result is- the light source is a bright point backwards. But on the picture we can see something looks like smoke effect..

It could be a light shining through a semi-transparent material.

How do you know it wasn't created in a computer by combining several shots? If that's the case, then taking "that" photo is going to be tough without the computer.

Looks like a long lens shot wide open, over exposing the light source (Sun) in order to get a decent exposure on the face. Maybe a bit of burning and dodging on the light source.

Hi guys.
I tried to take a pic like this. But I got some problems with the lights.
I'll be glad to get some advices from you.
What do you think:
the power/type of the light is;
the distances between front and back lights and the character are;
mode of the camera (such as ISO, wb balance) should I use, and other advices.
Thank you.

the-killers-just-another-girl.jpg
Have you tried asking whomever shot it? It's amazing how well that usually works to get the answers to these types of questions.

it's amazing how lazy people are to read previous posts. This is snapshot from music video. You know, it's not so easy to ask camera operators of famous artists about their work.

The bright yellow orb's brightest area indicates heavy over-exposure of that part of the lighted area, so maybe that's a light source of some type. What is the name and artist that did the video...maybe people could watch the video and give a better idea.

it's amazing how lazy people are to read previous posts. This is snapshot from music video. You know, it's not so easy to ask camera operators of famous artists about their work.
No, it's actually easy to ask anyone anything. You might even get the answers.

But don't try - you wouldn't want to get pleasantly surprised, after all.

Who, how, why? Who cares. If were asked to recreate this shot, here's how I would do it: 2-3 cuts of Rosco deep yellow over a 14" reflector, key about4-6' behind model and adjust power to suit. ANY strobe can be used for this shot if you can dial it down far enough. If you don't have a monolight/pack & head lighting system, you can make a "reflector" for a speedlight out of construction paper & tinfoil, and any transparent yellow plastic can be used as the gel.

It's amazing to me that someone would come on here and ask for help and then be a smartass to veteran photographers that were trying to help.

I didn't see where you offered all the information from the beginning to help anyone with your question either. You also may be surprised at how much a normal person that camera operator may be as opposed to a director who may not give you the time of day.

When wanting something, sometimes it's smart to think of what you are going to say before saying/typing it out.

All the tips were extremely helpful and thank you for that.

It's amazing to me that someone would come on here and ask for help and then be a smartass to veteran photographers that were trying to help.

I didn't see where you offered all the information from the beginning to help anyone with your question either. You also may be surprised at how much a normal person that camera operator may be as opposed to a director who may not give you the time of day.

When wanting something, sometimes it's smart to think of what you are going to say before saying/typing it out.

Yeah. It's smart to think.
Maybe, information about music group was not too obvious(link name). But I answered to this veteran photographer like that 'cause "go to another place with your questions, you're too stupid that not asked video operator" message.

Last edited:
Maybe, information about music group was not too obvious(link name). But I answered to this veteran photographer like that 'cause "go to another place with your questions, you're too stupid that not asked video operator" message.
There's no reason to put words in my mouth that I neither said, nor implied, nor intended. It's not in any way "stupid" to have not yet thought to ask the person who made it. It's happened before and I'm sure it will happen again. I don't mind emailing people to ask them questions, and more often than not, I get an answer.

That's it and that's all. Anything else you read into it didn't come from me.

Most reactions

Back