Question about the noise in this pic

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a snap I took last night of my sick baby that turned out better than expected. Is the noise distracting? If so, how can I get rid of it without blurring him? I have PSE.

I had one 60w bulb on in the room, so it turned out ok, considering, but if anyone has better suggestion I'd be all ears: he doesn't often sit still long enough to pose. :lol:

September232007005_edited-1.jpg

Also, if this should be in the beginner's forum, feel free to move!

Well I know you said you didn't want to but try putting a slight blur over the photo. After this (I don't know PSE so you may not have this option) re-sharpen it with the unsharp mask. It should reduce some of the noise. Also theres a separate program that you can get an unlimited demo for (just reduces what you can save as and file size) and its called Neat Image (http://www.neatimage.com/) and I have found it works quite well for most grain.

Hope this helps!

Best I could do with what you had.

Best I could do with what you had.

Nein-reis - OK - what exactly did you do? I see you corrected the color cast as well - that's much more accurate in terms of his skin tone - he's a pale little guy.

Unmanedpilot - thanks for the heads up on the program. I'll check into it. I typically use natural daylight so I don't run into noise very often and panic when I do.

Timothy - Thanks. It's just to send to relatives - nothing too special, but I don't like to send them crap either.

This one gets the colour closer to correct, particularly in her eyes and sweater. Some selective red reduction still needs to be done but subtly and carefully, not too much as in the previous attempt.

Stella_ed.jpg

skieur

I fixed the color cast, not very much effort however. And then I copied the layer>used blur tool and went around the areas changing the strength of the blur tool>merged visible>copied to new layer>guassian blur>set blending mode to soft light>changed opacity a small bit>high pass 1px>blending mode to overlay>merged visible. Then you could go in and further fix color, and eye color, shadow detail etc... but you were just concerned with the noise so thats what I focused on.

This one gets the colour closer to correct, particularly in her eyes and sweater.

Hmm.....maybe I should cut his hair.... ;)

Thanks very much - the color looks much better. Some of the color issues are just him - he has constant dark allergy circles around his eyes that are a challenge and his eyes were also red from crying, so double whammy.

Nein-reis' reminds me of an image from the 50's - different but nice.

Thank you for your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back