Question about the sweet spot

jacqg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I got my AF-S 35mm 1.8g for Christmas and this is my second lens and my first one is the AF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 so obviously this is a big transition for me because of the aperture.

I notice that everytime I take pictures of 2-3 people in one photo, usually there's only one person that gets focused. This was when I was taking the pictures with f/1.8 so the next time I had a chance, I changed it to 3.2 or to 5.6. Regardless, I still have the same results at times, but not as often, so I read this thing about finding the sweet spot of the camera and I THINK mine is f/9 or f/11(I tested this by taking a picture of an article in different f-stops until I got everything clear).

I also tried doing shutter priority so that the lens will just choose the right aperture for my those 2-3 people shots but it did exactly the opposite that I think the aperture goes near to f/1.8.

So my questions:

-What is the right aperture for 2-3 people regardless of the lighting?
-When do I use the sweet spot?
-Is there a constant sweet spot value for each lens?If so, what is the value for the 18-55mm?

Thanks!

Go here
Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8 G - Review / Test Report

Take a look at the MTF chart and you will noticed the best test result from them is at F/4 and F/5.6. I will consider that it is the sweet spot for that lens.

However, the problem you had with your photos is not sweet spot related. It is Depth of Field (DoF) related. When using a larger aperture (lower aperture number), the DoF will be very shadow. In that case, if you take a group shot with large aperture, and the subjects are not line up on the same plane, some of the subjects may be out of focus.

Take a look at here.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

You can use it to calculate the DoF.

Ohhh so the sweet spot is when you get very crisp resolution? I think? If so, then thanks!!

Wow, thanks a lot for this =0.

Most reactions

Back