Question about underwater photography

[email protected]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going on my honeymoon next April. We will be snorkeling and I will be participating in an underwater swim with dolphins. I would like to take some photos of this. I need an underwater camera. Are the disposal ones good. Or should I invest in a real one. I have a digital Nikon already, but it's so large and bulky.

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your wedding/honeymoon. :)

I can't recall the name but there are some companies that make water proof housings for specific cameras models. You should be able to search for them on line.

There are also, water tight bags that have a built in lens to shoot through.

There are underwater cameras.

I have used the underwater disposable cameras before. They are not great but they did work well enough. The best part is that they are fairly cheap and you don't have to worry about them. You don't want to ruin a wonderful experience like that because you are worried about your camera getting wet.

Definitely stay away from the disposable ones unless you are planning on staying right at the surface. I believe most of them claim a safe depth of up to maybe 8-12 feet. Although they would probably be ok to go a bit deeper, I'd sure hate to lose photos of such an experience.

Depending on how serious you are about it, or if this will just be a one-time thing, there are some fairly inexpensive underwater cameras you can buy, or you can buy housing (much more expensive option) for many standard cameras.

Check out the Adorama link at the bottom of this page and click on their "Underwater" section on the left. They have an underwater point and shoot 35mm camera in its own housing starting at $99 and it is rated to 100ft. I actually have the Sealife Reefmaster, which is very similar, and it has gone diving with me to about 70 feet without any problems.

Hope this helps! :)

edit: If you are interested in the more expensive options for underwater housing, take a look at Ikelite. The bags Mike mentioned are also useful, but again they are something that I would only trust up on the surface and have never personally been comfortable putting my gear in.

I should have mentioned that...if you are scuba diving, then depth may become an issue with the cheap cameras. But you would have to be pretty brave to snorkel much deeper than 20 feet :shock:

Like Chase said, for such a special moment, it may be worth just spending $99 for a real underwater camera.

Thanks a bunch guys. I may invest in the $100 range camera.

I would agree with everyone here. You don't really want to risk another camera in one of those underwater bags, although I have heard (an experienced) good things about the housings, as long as they are cared for properly. I would also stay away from the disposable. But I'm just regurgitating what others are saying! Let us know what you get and don't forget to share the pics! Oh yeah, congrats on the wedding/honeymoon!

Zach :D

You might want to look for a Sea Life. That company makes all types of underwater cameras from cheap point and shoots in water proof case to cameras that are just a few steps below a nikonos.

Good luck

BernieSC said:
You might want to look for a Sea Life. That company makes all types of underwater cameras from cheap point and shoots in water proof case to cameras that are just a few steps below a nikonos.

Good luck

Ah yes, I knew I was forgetting something... I've use the Sea Life cameras and I've been happy with the results. Granted I was between 70 and 100 feet when I used them. I'll bet they give great results when used at shallower depths!

Chase said:
If you do decided to go with it, and purchase it from Adorama, please use the link at the bottom of this page so we can get credit for your purchase! :)

I haven't seen an Adorama link on these pages for quite some time...am I missing it or is it not there anymore.

Its just at the very bottom of the forum pages now! Scroll all the way down and you should see it!

This is all I see at the bottom of the page...

bottom.jpg

weird! could be the theme I guess, I'm using th e FI theme and I've got it!

Most reactions

Back