Question about wireless flash

Snow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have Canon EOS 450D and a flash Canon Speedlite 580ex II and I was wondering can i use the flash wirelessly with no other flashes on my camera. Is it possible to do that or i need to buy some add-on?

I hope you understand
Thank you in advance :]

No. You need a pocket wizard or another Canon to shoot a slave.

Whats a pocket wizard?

Kinda expensive for just a trigger :eek:

And thanks for your help :]

You can buy a cheap optical slave for your 580EX and trigger it with the camera build-in flash. However, optical flash may not work too well sunny day outdoor.

Radio trigger from Gadget Infinity or something similar is a very good low cost solution.

$25 for a transmitter and a receiver ... that's actually a really good price! Might order a set myself.

Nikon has something called CLS, creative lighting system, that uses the onboard flash to send an infrared signal to their speedlites, not sure if Canon has an equivalent that you could check out. Figured I'd mention it just in case though

i shoot with cactus V4s from gadgetinfinity and i LOVE them.

i think it was like $40 for a receiver and a transmitter. i need to order 2 more receivers and they are only like $24 a pop. good deal.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 580EX II has a receiver built in, but I think the only transmitter that will work with it is Canon's ST-E2, which is $220.

I believe that the 7D has a transmitter built in too, so with that camera would would not need any other accessories.

I just bought some cheap radio triggers from Amazon, and have been happy with them.
([ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002W3IXZW/ref=oss_product"]This is what I bought[/ame].)

Most reactions

Back