Question/Advice

D-Ice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I kinda need a question answered and mabye some advice...

First: I have a Kodak D343 (low entry camera I know nonthing special here) but its kinda weird, when I take photos some dont come out the way previewed at first on the lcd, they come out darker or lighter and even on the "sport" mode the shutter is fairly slow and I always miss a fast moving picture, I bought this camera because I wanted a digital, and its not what I thought it would be, I mean as far as shutter speed goes, my camera phone is quicker.... Dont get me wrong tho it takes good senic shots....

So my question: Why is the shutter so slow, and why dont the pictures come out the way they are previewed, like they do on my camera phone.

Second Question/Advice: I broke the camera by droping it on a carpet. So I now want a new/better camera. What can I get for a decent price (250/350) that takes fast pictures, takes good pictures, and it durable?

That is a relatively huge question. Let me give just a few points. If you look at the lens size(diameter) on your camera and say a camera with interchangeable lenses, you'll see a huge difference. So what does that mean? You are getting less light than the bigger lens. So to compensate, a slower shutter speed is used. In scenics, this doesn't matter, but when action happens, you will get more blurring. It is just a limitation of alot of the more point and shoot type cameras.

As far as recommendations. Lots to choose from, but you still will have alot of those limitations.

KevinR said:
If you look at the lens size(diameter) on your camera and say a camera with interchangeable lenses, you'll see a huge difference. So what does that mean? You are getting less light than the bigger lens.

That is not true. f/2.8 is f/2.8 on any lens, any camera. It may not be the same size opening on a point and shoot lens as it is on a 35mm lens, or a MF lens, but it lets in the same intensity of light.

Your right....my bad. I was for some reason thinking in terms of sensor size and screwed it up. Noticed that almost 30 people had viewed the thread but no replys, so I thought I would at least try.

As to the original post, the reason you are missing action shots is most likely due to shutter "lag", and not a slow shutter speed. Shutter lag is the lag time between when you press the shutter release button, and when it actually opens. In point and shoot cameras, this lag time is usually pretty long, and can be troublesome. As for why they don't look like the do on the LCD: No LCD can show you the image exactly how it's going to look on a 17" CRT monitor, or whatever you happen to be using, and especially not on a print. Most LCDs will show the image a little brighter than what it actually might be. You might also have some exposure compensation setting on, which is causing it to change the settings slightly when it takes the shot.

If you are serious about photography, I would save up a bit more, ($2-300 more), and you can start looking at entry level DSLRs, especially used ones.

You can find high-end point & shoots on ebay for that price, but I agree with Matt. I bought a KM z6 on ebay for $350US and I like it a lot. However, I quickly noticed that it's missing a lot of features that I would love to have (like aperture smaller than f/8 and especially interchangeable lenses). I've only had it for a few months and I'm already starting to wish I could upgrade (alas, it'll be a while before I have the $$$ to spend on a new digital cam). You won't be sorry if you wait for a DSLR.

if you are looking for another point an shoot KM's Z line is amazing. I had the Z1 and LOVED it. It is the only reason I got into photography, as I started messing with the manual settings such as shutter speed and aperture. While the aperture only goes to f/8, it still produces very nice pictures. If you dont want to go DSLR for whatever reason (price, size, whatever) I strongly recommend Minolta's Z line.

Yes, xfloggingkylex is right - the Z line IS fantastic within its limits. I'll eventually buy a DSLR, but I plan on keeping my z6 for more casual shooting. I think one of the biggest positives to the z's is the weight - compared to my F80, it's as light as a feather!

I had the 3.2mp Z1 and loved it. Gave it to my brother in an attempt to get him into photography when I got my *istDL not too long ago. it was a great camera and I got it a year or so ago for 200 dollars. Takes better pictures than regular P&S's twice it's price IMO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back