Question For All Of you! :)

chantal7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys 'n gals!

I was curious as to how other photographers do their thing....
Do you take your photographs alone? Or do you have a photo friend with you, or even a pal just by your side talking to you while you take photos? Who do you take photos with? Do you prefer to do it alone? Well, I am sick of having this urge to go out and take pictures, but then it totally dies once I know there's no one available to go with. I like the company of someone else by my side. Especially things like this, whether they're taking pictures with me or just beside me enjoying the walk and weather or what not. Is it just me, or do other people like to have someone else with them?

Good topic.

I don't have a good reason to explain this, but when I am with someone (or a group) my signal-to-noise ratio is lower. It doesn't make a difference if the company is photographers or chefs or urban planners. So, I usually go on photo trips by myself. In any case, I enjoy the hobby so much that I don't mind being alone.

If I'm out to get photos, I'd much prefer having someone with me who is shooting too. That way it's always a common ground to return to in conversation. When I'm with a person who doesn't have a camera and doesn't know anything about photography, I'm less motivated to make pictures (and I mean make, not take—there's a huge difference), mostly because it's hard to explain what I'm doing, and I'm leaving the out of the process, which isn't what spending time with friends is about.

In the end, I'd rather be alone, or with another person who's into photography like I am (or, a lot of people who're into photography). Then again, being with large groups of friends can be fun, especially when they like the photos you take of them. Plus they always have someone to talk to who isn't putting their eye in a viewfinder; less socially awkward.

if its somewhere safe, i prefer to go alone. if its someplace dangerous then ill go with a friend. i find it easier to concentrate when im alone hha

Myself I prefer shooting alone most of the time - its time to myself to get away from things and clear my head (and worry about shutter speeds and cool locations ;)). If I go out with others shooting I far prefer going with others who are taking photos on the trip as well - you can talk to them and they don't mind if the conversation breaks to grab a few shots - or if you suddenly stop walking and spend 10 mins with a bee. Its good fun and its some company.
Going out with non-photographers is almost always a pain and many times I regret bringing all the camera gear = they are always saying something like "ooh get a shot of this or that" and then when you do stop to get a few shots of something its always "hurry up!" and "stop playing with that bee its not interesting" and they have no time at all for you to change lenses midshoot.

So its alone or with other photographers - other "normal" people it tends to be a pain - a little point and shoot or bridge camera would be best for those days - something that will get a shot of something great if you see it, but won't take up all the space.

I have never had an opportunity to shoot with another photographer. In real life I don't know anyone who even owns a camera that isn't attached to their phone. Would I like to? errrrrrr.......I like to go at my own pace. Like Overread, I tend to get self absorbed and can easily spend a half hour contemplating how a blade of grass is destroying/essential to my shot. I can't imagine this being fun for anyone with me.
I do think I'd have the pateince to wait for another photographer to explore their "bees" and not be annoying. I think companionable silence would be key to a successful outing.

The only exception to all this alone-ness is my husband. I swear he has the patience of Job. He likes to hunt and I frequently go with him with my own weapon of choice. We have meeting points for when I lag behind so it is all good. Mind you I think I spend more time trying to be as loud as possible so I don't have to witness him killing anything (which he totally knows I'm doing but loves me enough to turn a blind eye and an empty trophy wall).

My "photography outings" are trips to the zoo with the kids, trips to the local dirtbike track with the kids, trips to the RC airshow with the kids, trips to Erie with the kids, trips to xxxxx with the kids. Always with the kids. So, I always have company. I don't go places by myself specifically for photography.

I use to before I considered myself "into" the hobby of photography. I use to ride a motorcycle, and I always had a small camera around my neck. I went out specifically to ride, but stopped all the time for shots with the camera. I knew nothing back then and just had a little compact P&S with no other settings but auto, but I have some pretty darn satisfying photos for me.

The bike was nice as I could pull over nearly anywhere and get off and shoot. Can't do that with a car, there's no room to pull over.

Personally I take my Zune (MP3 player) and my camera and head out to take pictures. put some good music on and just take pictures in my own little world. I mean if someone is around that wants to tag along that fine I just dont like it when they ask 100 questions about what I am doing lol

shooting wildlife, alone always. Hard to creep in the woods when you have a stampede (ok, it sure feels that way).

Sometimes I will go out with a friend who is also a photographer. Common ground as others have pointed out and definitely understanding of why you can be walking and suddenly gear goes flying changing lenses or whatever.

Especially when I photograph landscapes/going hiking etc, I always feel rushed when I'm with friends/other people who aren't photographers. It is nice to have someone to walk/talk/hike with, but when I get to a location that intrigues me, I like to spend time there and photograph from different angles etc, like most of us like to do. So I also agree with most comments above that I'd love to have another photog come with me, although I don't have any friends that are into it like me. When i shoot events I almost always have a friend/photog/partner. Photographer to help me shoot, sometimes a friend just to help with setups.

Like some have said here, I haven't had the opportunity to shoot with another photographer. I haven't met one yet that I could become friends with.

I can totally understand the "no room for a car" to go - I've tried that and found it to be a pain in the ass. Next time I'm just going to pedal-bike around, since I do enjoy bike riding.

I suppose having a non-photo pal beside you would get kind of annoying in a sense. You'd feel bad having them around waiting for you to spend 10 minutes on a bee - I can see that. I suppose I'll just have to keep meeting new people and see if they're into photography.

i go alone. i primarily shoot at Zoos. i don't know anyone that is willing to spend 8 hours at the Zoo, sometimes not getting any good shots. my girlfriend comes with me sometimes but we only spend about 1/2 the time and she'll take my D50 w/18-200mm and get some good shots in but she doesn't like standing around waiting for the tiger to do something or carrying the 18-200 all day. i generally take comp days or vacation days by myself and go somewhere all day to shoot.

When I venture from my yard my husband is with me because of mobility issues on my part, but he is into photography also so its not a problem; he calls himself my "bug finder" because he often see's things I don't. Another advantage is he carries my camera bag and helps by holding a lens for me when I need to change lenses for just one shot. I must admit however that I do enjoy photographing alone in my yard -I find it very relaxing, just me, the birds, bees and butterflies.

I suppose I'll just have to keep meeting new people and see if they're into photography.
Or, you can take the shortcut and join your local online photo forum. The one here organises photo outings every few weeks, and members organise their own group outings all the time.

Most reactions

Back