Question For All Of you! :)

I used to be a lone photographer ... as there were no other photographers that I hung around with.
Then suddenly my friends decided to buy cameras ... and they wanted take take pictures with me.
Then that ended ... and I found my wife. She is also a photographer.

Now I still take photo's alone most of the time as my wife also has other interests, and we aways shoot together when we travel around (vacation, camping, site seeing ... etc.)

A couple years ago I had a 'relatively' expensive P&S, bag, lens attachmentes, filters and all the toys, and enjoyed going out in the late afternoon by myself... It was getting dark and there were 2 of them that showed up.. One pulled a knife (Nomenclature, "Very large").... - Now, ..I was 60 then, but also X-Special Forces - but neither of them ever gave me a chance or an opening to do anything...... They either got damn lucky that night, or they were former military also, but they got about $400 worth of my stuff... I still go out and shoot in the evening, but I bring my best friend, "Mr. Glock" with me .. he never asks what ISO I'm using, nor does he have to pee more often than I do, so we make a great partnership.. For those of you who condem that, I can only tell you that it only has to happen to you just once .. I like going out alone because if I have the notion to just sit for a while, looking and thinking, I can do that without having to worry about someone else wanting to move on, or not being able to enjoy the moment like I do..

Photography is a very solitary thing, IMO. When you stare down a lens you can't see anything around you and generally people are very focused on what they are trying to capture... hell, just wandering around looking for a shot is a sort of focused trance.

My wife can't stand it when I have my camera when we're out and about... esp. with the kids. I do my best not to go into photo-mode completely, but I ain't perfect. :)

That being said an occasional trip with another photog can be fun to a degree, though usually I find that when we're actually shooting we don't talk much at all. Very solitary until you're done getting that shot.

I suppose I'll just have to keep meeting new people and see if they're into photography.
Or, you can take the shortcut and join your local online photo forum. The one here organises photo outings every few weeks, and members organise their own group outings all the time.

You mean the meet-ups right? Or is this something different? Where is the forum for it? :O

You mean the meet-ups right? Or is this something different? Where is the forum for it? :O
Sorry, I'm actually in Manitoba. The local photo club here in Winnipeg organises not only meetups but also photo outings. Not sure what kind of online photo communities exist on the other side of the provincial border :)

Sorry, I'm actually in Manitoba. The local photo club here in Winnipeg organises not only meetups but also photo outings. Not sure what kind of online photo communities exist on the other side of the provincial border :)

Ah - that must be nice!

If I'm shooting landscapes, macros, artsy photos I usually go alone since nobody else has the patience. I am trying to get my wife into photography though so that we can appreciate the "art" together.

When shooting a portrait session or something, I like to have my wife with me as she is a huge help with moving my lightstand or positioning the couple...or coming up with different posing ideas.

It's always good to be out and about with friends but dont let solitude put you off,,, with a camera you always have a companion.
Also depends on their interest,,,, A friend and I were out walking in the countryside and he kept asking me why I kept taking the same pic over and over again. Mmmm "you must be crap to need to cover yourself like that" was his only comment.

i rather someone with me, gives me that extra feeling of security, as i am travelling with around £800 - £900 in my bag most times, i really dont want any little neds / junkies stealing it... took me long enough to buy it, especially now i have college in august..

I originally shot with my mother, which was a challenge, since she seemed to have no fear, even shooting bears at close range in the wild. Later I shot with techs, photojournalists and other pros at various events. Now, I tend to shoot alone.

skieur

Interesting. I guess having someone by your side could be totally different depending on the person. The person I was with was very patient and didn't get impatient at all, well, at least he didn't show it. He did however try to help me in finding a new photo to take. :)

I prefer going alone for all the same reasons. I like to do my own thing and not have to worry about anyone else not being able to follow me or getting impatient while I plan out a shot.

I also ride a motorbike and love taking the camera along. It really is the best of the best. You're out in the open air and you have your trusty friend on your back.

I will go out with friends, usually only ones into photography, but I don't tend to get the same quality shots I would if I went alone. I find I think about them more than concentrating on the camera.

i shoot with a friend and we kinda work off of each other so it makes it interesting but sometimes i enjoy going by myself just cause i can do or go and shoot whatever i want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back