Question for anyone who has purchased a rebel xti... did I get a used camera?

pictureEVERYTHING

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all...

I need some help from anyone who has recently purchased a Canon Rebel XTi.
I received mine last night from B & H photo and started wondering about a few things. Here are my questions.

1) should the camera have had a protective sticker over the lcd panel on the back?
2) Should the red box have been sealed with any sort sticky tape or sticker?
3) I got the camera with the 18-55 EFs kit lens... it's definately one of the cheaper lenses I've ever held but my question is when I turn it all the way down to 18 - there is some sort of weird little sound... at first I thought it was sand or something gritty but it ONLY happens right there at the 18mm mark. It also vaguely sounds like maybe some brushes inside are being compressed... maybe to keep dirt out??? But I'm a little iffy about that. Other than that the lens looks to be in great shape... no scratches.
4) None of the bubble wrap bags that contained the lens, the camera body, or the charger were taped shut. Are they supposed to be?

As soon as I get home and charge the battery up I'm going to check the counter to see how many times the shutter has been fired. I'm just on the fence thinking I may have gotten a used camera.

Can anybody help me out? Xti owners only please.

B&H is VERY reputable. I highly doubt you would have any problems with them.

As soon as I get home and charge the battery up I'm going to check the counter to see how many times the shutter has been fired. I'm just on the fence thinking I may have gotten a used camera.
I'm not sure that the counters are 'zero'ed, out of the factory.

I have heard that there is a program/utility that actually does read the camera to check how many actuations it's had.

When I opened my XTi, there was no tape on the box, no tape on the bags hold the lens and body, and no sticker over the LCD. I used to work at Best Buy, and all of their boxes were that way. Don't worry. The only thing with your case is the noise it makes at 18mm. Possibly nothing, possibly defective lens. I don't think you have anything to worry about with the body.

Thanks for the help guys.

And I think you're right Big Mike... I've seen it on other slrs but not this one apparently. Oh well.

After further inspection I'm feel pretty safe about it. Thanks again though.

Completely off topic it's crazy to think that we have come so far as a society to simply assume the worst when a tamper proof sticker is not used on a product.

hehe - not completely off topic.

My other problem was that the tape on the sides of the shipping box were cut with a blade! The top was still taped but the sides were very much open.

Most reactions

Back