Question for D700 users

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by milavidal, Mar 1, 2009.

1. milavidal

milavidal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I used to have my Nikon D80, I mostly used my 17-135mm. That was both because of the range and wide angle. Now that I have the D700, what would you guys recommend for a lens that would be compareable to the 17-135? I am willing to spend around 800 max. I'd rather have good lenses to start with than to switch later on . . . Oh, I have to mention, I need a fast one !:wink:

2. Mitch1640

Mitch1640 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i dont think there is something in that range that is full frame. iv heard awesome things about the 24-70 2.8 which is fast 24 is about 16-125ish on a crop sensor. but i think that lens is over a grand. i think nikon makes something like a 24-120 3.5-5.6 that is reasonable but i dont know anything about it.

3. Kegger

Kegger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely go ahead and pony up the cash for the best possible right now. You'll be much happier. I'd go for the 24-70 2.8, as well as the 70-200 2.8. Though not both at the same time, lol.

4. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think that pretty much leaves the 24-120VR as your only option if you want to stick with Nikon lenses.

I use it on my own D700 and it's ok. Not great, just ok. It's really only good at f/8-f/11. I've gotten some great pics out of it, any of the recent wide angle shots on my flickr page have been shot with it.

It's great for an all-round snapshot lens, and I actually really like the color out of it too on jpegs with the D2x picture controls.

[​IMG]

You're mileage may vary, what are you planning on using it for?

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to escape the current lineup and get an older D type lens for a much cheaper price then look at the Nikkor AF D 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 or the Nikkor AF G 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 macro or the Nikkor AF D 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6, and all of these are a bargain and tiny compared to the 24-70

6. milavidal

milavidal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I alreadyy own the 70-200, so that shouldnt be a problem... :lol:

I'll have to look into the 24-70 . . .

7. milavidal

milavidal TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I plan to use it for events. I have been shooting a lot of kids birthday parties in function halls and stuff...so there's a lot of room for them to run around, and chasing them with a zoom wide angle is a must. Lighting is not always that great, and sometimes the high ceellings dont help either...Also,for the group shots, its almost impossible to get more than 3 people in a picture with the 70-200. The zoom range doesnt have to be that exact 17-135...Im open to less range as long as there is some...

8. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You need the 24 or 28-70 f/2.8.

9. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you already have the 70-200mm, then the 24-70mm f/2.8 would make a sweet companion. I was concerned if the 24mm end would be wide enough for me.

At 24mm on the D700 here and here. I think it will work for me.

10. blash

blash TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Consider primes! For kids' birthday parties, I'd think either a 50 mm f/1.4 (yes dear god I love this lens) or a 35mm f/2 outta do it.

11. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 24-70 F2.8 is most likely your best option, however the Nikkor is a little out of your budget. I wold go for the sigma version, which is less than half the price and optically extremely similar to the Nikon. The newer one also has some macro capabilities. I own the 18-50 version and couldn't be happier.

12. shivaswrath

shivaswrath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    does the sigma 24-70 f/2.8 version work on FF as well?