Question for people that work in labs....

ShutteredEye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theshutteredeye.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How much "adjustment" gets done to people's photos?

The reason I ask, I took a series of images of candles varying the apeture and shutterspeed so I would have a base to compare against, sort of a tutorial for myself. I'll be danged if I didn't get 16 images back that looked exactly the same.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I feel like I'm being cheated out of some learning process if someone keeps cleaning up my messes if this actually goes on...

If you really want to see the exposure differences practice with slide film. What you shoot is what you'll get.

Well. The computer does its own minor adjustments... and then the person printing makes their adjustments...

Unfortunately - the person printing needs to make adjustments to how they think it looks best. Keeping in mind how dark/light the image is and if there is any colour bias... Obviously you can't do this yourself (unless you use digital)...

The reason for this is - if we didn't do these adjustments, we would have every-day people (which is at least 95% of business (unless you go to a pro place)) coming back complaining that their images aren't perfect (which is usually their fault in the first place... and we already get them complaining now - but imagine if we didn't fix the crap they bring?)

I'm sure your lab would be more than happy to do no corrections on them if you asked them to... However, as far as I know, the corrections the printer does can't be turned off... But to tell you the truth - I didn't even know the printer did corrections itself until i was reading everything on the screen - and noticed this (-0.3) thing in the bottom of the screen - the number varying depending on the individual images... So I don't think that would make much difference..
.. Your candles will look all the same because they would have made each of the pictures look how they thought was the best.. (and thinking of it like that - they should all look the same - and it would be scary if they didn't)

*phew*

Did that help at all?

Also, most equipment prints the adjustments made on the back of the print.( Or at least they used to)
typically theres 4 digits representing CMY D(density).
for example, +2NN +2 equals +2cyan and 2 darker.
Hopefully your prints have them and it helps.

Most reactions

Back