Question for tonight

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been helping w/ a dance team/band show that my former high school is doing this weekend. Tonight is dress rehearsal and just for me, I would like to take pics at it. Just would like to get advice on settings i should try because it may get a little tricky. Obviously with the dances there will be a lot of movement. But, on everything there is a lot of spotlight/strobes/other colored lights and a lot of dim light situations.....

Any suggestions on what I should do??
I will be using a 30d....I have a 50mm 1.8, 70-200 2.8, 17-85 4-5.6
I also have a 580 flash and a tripod but figured using a flash will make all the pics kinda blah

Like I said.....isn't anything I plan on selling, I just see it as a learning opportunity tnoight

If you want to stop the motion...I'd use Av mode and set the max aperture (or close to it). Then bump up the ISO if you still need faster shutter speeds.

this is what i do for low light concert situations:

first of all, USE THE 50 and no flash

also, set shutter priority to 1/100 or 1/125 (higher if you can get away with it) and shoot at the highest ISO you can without the image looking like crap.

some photos might be underexposed when it's all said and done, but if you shoot in RAW you can fix that in PP very easily. it's a lot better to have an underexposed but sharp shot than it is to have a properly exposed but blurry one.

put your priority on the motion of the dancers, not the lighting

Put the noise reduction setting on on your 30D, take you tripod, flash and the 50mm and 70-200mm lens.

If i have to guess, you will be able to take photos of the band at f2.8, ISO 800, but it depends on the amount of light that will be on the band.

The dancers... i would say use the flash :D Ive never actually taken photos of people dancing and moving, so im not sure about those settings.

Most reactions

Back