Question for working photographers

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Luna, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Luna

Luna TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've seen the same question asked in several forums where the vast majority are professionals.

The answer is not surprising. About 70% have a formal degree in one thing or another, but only about 20% have a formal education in photography.

Like any form of certification in ANY profession, it is no guarantee of proficiency or quality, it is merely a way to get your foot into the business, and whether you are shown the door or not all depends on your final results.

However, I did notice something very interesting... some of the most successful photographers are not only excellent at taking pictures, but have a *STRONG* business savvy and excellent customer service skills. These people are usually business people that have lasted longer than 2 years and are doing very well (as an example, in the wedding photography forums, these kinds of people are already booked solid for the YEAR).

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I got my BA in Photography and assisted photographers for 5+ years before venturing out on my own.

Love & Bass

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am surprised that it is somewhat similar to mine. I got my university degree in languages and literatures, my teaching degree, and film and television production at community college.

skieur

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Keep in mind that it is really important to have an incredible portfolio if you are going to be successful in photography.

Love & Bass