Question on Aperture Priority

Good answer..and i think this is what she/he was looking for when this was asked. Iso/f stops in lighting and inside to outside. What it means and how to use both and when...everyone seems to have opinions for answer and not actual #'s advice...except for 2 people. I feel the best people to learn from are photographers amd experimenting a lot. I have no issues taking outside photos..bit inside is my most challenge ever.

These days I pretty much only use aperture priority on a tripod where shutter speed absolutely doesn’t matter to me. Which is very rare.

If I’m shooting handheld and need auto exposure I use manual mode with auto iso. That way I can choose DOF and shutter speed to suit the conditions and just let the iso be variable. Modern cameras are good enough in low light that this doesn’t bother me, even up to iso 12,800.

If you’re shooting in low light, a good theory to go with is this:

Small aperture (large f#), fast shutter speed, low iso. Choose two and sacrifice control of the third. If this isn’t an acceptable sacrifice you either need to add a tripod or additional light.

I use aperture priority to lock the lens at wide open or at a specific aperture.
This is needed in different situations
  • In a DIM setting. You lock the aperture wide open, and let the camera adjust the shutter to the fastest it can go, given the dim light.
    • Example - Shot my nieces wedding, f/4 (wide open), ISO=1600 (max on the D70), shutter speed was left to the camera to select.
  • If you want to lock in a DoF.
    • Example1 - Shoot a sport at f/2.8 to get a shallow DoF, rather than let the camera pick any aperture setting, which will not give you that consistent shallow DoF if the camera selects f/8.
    • Example2 - Shooting people at f/8 or 11, to get a deeper DoF, so you get everyone in focus, rather than just 1 person.
You just have to learn each mode and how to use it.
The more you use it the better you understand how and when to make best use of each of the modes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back