Question on lens...

A Sigma T.C. should work with any lens that will work with your camera.

I don't know a lot about Phoenix but I'd stick with Canon, Tamron or Sigma.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only bought the Vivitar because I got a good deal on it. I would trade it for a Canon or Sigma any day.

Looking at those teleconverters, they are for a Sigma camera. Would not work on your Canon.

You can buy Sigma brand, but it has to be Canon EOS (AF) compatible.

So you don't think i should get that vivitar mirror lens? It seems to be a good price, it is 500mm and it comes with a teleconverter, so it is 1000mm. whats wrong with that?

The problem with that lens is that its' maximum (fixed actually) aperture is F8....and it gets darker than that when the teleconverter is attached.

If these kinds of things were really any good, they would be more expensive. In the optimum conditions, they may be alright but that is seldom the case when trying to shoot wildlife.

Remember the "sunny 16 rule". In bright sun and your lens set to F16, the shutter speed will be equal to the film speed. So if you put a roll of ISO 100 in your camera with an F8 mirror lens and 2x extender, you will have a lens with effective 1000mm/F16. That means in the brightest outdoor light, you can shoot at 1/100 second. With that 1000mm field of view, you'll need an incredibly stable tripod, no wind, cable release, and a cooperative subject (I mean like...sleeping?). You might try it with ISO 400 with somewhat better results.

More. Another thing about mirror lenses is that they tend to have odd-looking bokeh highlights. Bright, out of focus spots in the image look like donuts--caused by the secondary mirror in the center of the front of the lens. This doesn't affect the in-focus objects, but some people just don't like it.

Recently, there has been a renewed interest in mirror lenses for use with digital SLRs. One of the limitations of the mirror lens is no adjustable aperture. It is set at F8, and that is it. All you have is your shutter speed for exposure adjustment. However, with digital, you can also adjust ISO, making the mirror lens somewhat more useful.

Finally, if you are in high school, don't worry that you don't have the highest quality lens. You've got plenty of time to get one later. You can't learn photography if you don't take pictures. And birds require 500mm+. Before you buy, though, know your prices, and don't get burned on Ebay. I see lenses from time to time getting bids higher than the B&H price! Here is probably the same lens under the Samyang brand name at Adorama for $129:
http://www.adorama.com/SY5008EOS.html?searchinfo=500mm&item_no=39
As for a reasonable converter, I've had good results from the Tamron standard--not Pro--converters. Frankly, though, I wouldn't do 2x on that mirror lens. Try a 1.4x. I've seen theTamron for $79.

Have a good one.
Bill

Ok everyone. I am sorry to be dragging you around from poit A to point B. But, finally, I think i have found the best solution to my problems. Here is a a Sigma 2x teleconverter for my sigma lens. (i think) is this good?
http://keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT.CFM...=newused&BID=CE&CID=10&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

If so, is that a good sight?

If not, are any of these any better?
http://keh.com/shop/product.cfm?bid=CE&cid=10&sid=newused&crid=12838268

Thank you so much, all of you. You cannot believe what a big help you have been

Rapala46 said:
why will that not work, or why is that not a good choice?
It will not work because the back element of the lens will collide with the front element of the teleconverter. It will not mount at all, and you'll get scratches on TC AND the lens.

Also, i've heard that Kenko makes horrible glass....so i am not sure if i want to buy a Kenko product...
I don't know about kenko lenses, but they got the teleconverter right. It's almost as good as sigma and canon.

You have 2 choices dude. Kenko or Tamron. Both of them are approximately the same in picture quality.

If you don't like the kenko brand, pick a 2x tamron from the list.

And they both retail for 220 bucks new, so the quality it up there. Don't worry about it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back