Question on Nikon G-Series lenses

OregonAmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't seem to find anything on here asking about this so my apologies if this is a tired subject. I tried :)

I've been into photography as a hobby for years and finally got my first dSLR after years with a Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (which I love and highly recommend for a non-SLR).

Anyway, I picked up the Nikon d40 because I intend to start with a base, figure out which features I like & use most with my SLR, then focus on spending my $ on quality lenses and upgrading the body every so often.

Here's my question - I got the stock kit lens which should be fine for most of my initial pictures (18-55mm f/3.5-5.6). I also picked up a 2nd lens (55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR) for $199. I now realize that the lenses are "G" series, meaning there are no aperture rings on them. I am wondering now if I should put the $200 toward a Nikon lens w/an aperture ring. Since I probably won't be using any manual cameras, I'm not sure this is something I should be concerned about. Is there any benefit to using the aperture ring on the lens vs. controlling it digitally?

I'm hoping someone can provide some perspective.

thx.

amy

No benefit at all. Unless you have a camera where you need to adjust it manually (older film SLR) then all you're going to to is lock it at it' s minimum aperture and control it via the body controls anyway.

Beautiful; that's exactly what I was looking for (and I was wondering last night how I would even override even a manual aperture setting on the camera with the ring). Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back