Question on Polaroid SX-70

kennethr.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a SX-70 on Ebay and tested it my self it works, but my film doesn't develop and my pictures are not showing up. My question is, is it the film? I'm using the 600 with a ND filter on the lens.

probably the film.

how old is the film?

how old is the film?

The film is from 2007, but was stored in a cool area, but I guess its cause of shipping perhaps, when it was shipped it was extremely hot.

well, in my experience polariod was serious about the expiration date. So it is likely that film is past it's usefulness.

...my pictures are not showing up...

Not enough information. No one can give you a proper answer with so little detail.

Not showing up could mean:
1. not coming out of the camera - either film or camera could be at fault

2. coming out blank white - extreme over exposure (faulty camera) or faulty film (chemicals spread but no reaction).

3. coming out blank black - extreme under exposure, faulty camera, not likely the films fault (chemicals spread and there was chemical activity)

4. coming out blank brown - no chemicals spread, faulty camera rollers or more likely bad film.

I agree with the above poster. In an SX-70 type camera, the film packs contain the battery that activates the film's ejection - not the camera. If the film is ejecting all right, the battery is still working.

However, Ann is also correct in that the dyes in Polaroid films don't have much of a shelf life past their expiration dates. Even if the film pack's battery allows it to eject, development will be slow, splotchy, or discolored at best.

It's really hard to say what you're facing here without more information. Sometimes expired Polaroid film gives off-colors - but that's not necessarily a bad thing at all. ;)

When you popped in the film pack and closed the camera, the dark slide should have automatically ejected first - did it?

Not enough information. No one can give you a proper answer with so little detail.

2. coming out blank white - extreme over exposure (faulty camera) or faulty film (chemicals spread but no reaction).

3. coming out blank black - extreme under exposure, faulty camera, not likely the films fault (chemicals spread and there was chemical activity)

4. coming out blank brown - no chemicals spread, faulty camera rollers or more likely bad film.

Yeah its coming out brown, so thanks.

My photos turn out really dark blue with no image at all. Could this be a default in the camera? Is there something I can fix on the camera?

What film are you using? The Impossible Project film usually comes out blue and takes a long time to develop. If you got their film that was made prior to their most recent color protection film (I can't think offhand what their B&W is called) it used to require that you protect the image from light as soon as it was ejected from the camera. The newest film doesn't require the user to do that but it does come out blue...

If the picture's dark and stays dark then obviously there's something set wrong on the camera or otherwise causing it not to develop. Mine waits til it has enough light to expose the image before it ejects the photo - it would be usable in low light with a tripod but in really low light trying it handheld I ended up with a blurry image due to shutter movement (and/or user error! as in not keeping the camera steady enough).

If you're using expired Polaroid film, comments like Terri's and Ann's above would let you know that you could expect just about anything. The only expired film I tried was pack film and it just came out a gooey mess.

Are the rollers free to turn? If you open the front door you can see if the rollers turn easily. Use a little water to get old gunk off of them and retry..

Yeah its coming out brown, so thanks.

I slightly have same problem, mine one film came out lower part chemical spread but upper part almost all the film blank brown. I just bought this camera SX70 2000 Red Button and im using impossible px cool px 680 color shade film. I need someone who can help me explain why it happened? Is it cause from my camera or my film?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back