Question on proofs

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Mandra, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all!
    How do you handle clients who want to see all the photos from their shoot?

We did a shoot last week for a large family and have put up 35 proofs from the 1.5 hour shoot. The mom is asking me why there's only 35... I'm assuming she's had experiences with photographers who have shown all photos taken, but we like to show only the "cream of the crop", fully processed and ready for printing.

Obviously, we had more than 35 that came out, but many were of the same pose or others were just better. I'm happy with what we've shown, but I don't know how to nicely tell her we only show the best proofs, not everything that was taken. I don't want to give her the impression these were the only ones that turned out and I certainly don't want to sound prissy. How do you handle this question?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just tell them that these were the best photos from each pose or grouping and that most of the others were either virtual copies or had someone making a face/bad expression.

Some photographers will even tell the clients that the non-keepers get deleted (even if they don't). Hopefully this relieves the curiosity that the client has, to see all the images.

I haven't had to try this out...but one option would be to choose one of the non-keepers where the client is making a silly face and show them that image, telling them that all the cuts looked like that. :lol: ;)

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I go a step further. It's written right into my contract. They only see 20-25 images for each hour of shooting, selected at my sole discretion.

Many of the images I make during a 1 hour shoot are experimental. Not all experiments are sucessful.

The other consideration is clients can get overwhelmed if they have to many images to choose from.

I recommend you add a clause or two to your contract.

4. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responses - I really appreciate it!

I've added a *to-do* for the contract and now need to email the client. sigh... ;)

5. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Update... So I emailed the original woman (yet to hear back) but have since received this email from another part of this family shoot:

Thanks for taking the time to photograph our family and I know with kids and such it is not always easy to get everyone looking at the camera, but in the same respect, didn't you take a lot of photos? I was hoping to see them all, and choose! I was very disappointed in the selection with our little family the xxxx's. I realize that there is a lot of time that went into this and would like to see all that time! I think of my wedding and the photographer let us preview them on the internet, all the photos, good and bad, and gave us a HUGE selection. Same with any photographer I have ever worked with, and with my son, it is really important that you feel when you see those photos endless possibilities and memories of that day. I am hoping to see them all, and maybe I would like one that you didn't? I am respecting your opinion of your choice selection but I feel like maybe the xxxx's opinion is important too... please if you can give us a better selection?

ARGH!!! Are all clients this crazy or did we just get lucky? Ideas on how to respond? I figure we either stick to our guns or we give in and show all pictures. (Side note: we had a pre-shoot meeting, setting the parameters of what could be expected but it was only with 1 of 4 families in the shoot. This is a sucky situation...)

6. FrankLamont

FrankLamont TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pick 5 more. Then say that a wedding is longer and has many more people in it.

7. Mandra

Mandra TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pretty much what we did. We'll see.....

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I shoot mostly model portfolios, so the situation is the same but different.

My clients see almost all of the photos unedited in a gallery about 2 hours after the shoot. Yeah; I can immediately pick out the best 15 or whatever, but I feel that the client is paying a lot of money and should see the work that we produced. Also I believe the client should have a say in the editing process. It is there money and I want them to be perfectly happy. Who is a better judge? Probably me, but in the instance of shooting models they know when flab is being hidden or posture is not perfect or not.

My work is very much a collaboration from both sides of the lens. I would never limit my client to only a select view of the photos.

Love & Bass

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. Photochick

Photochick TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This family must be crazy!! You have shown them enough. Why on earth would they want to see the edits!?! Watch out, this is the type of customer that will also want something for nothing or a better "deal" on the price. Good luck.

10. craig

craig TPF Noob!

There is a fine line here. That line is outstanding customer vs losing profits.

For example you should be able to proudly post every frame from the shoot in a matter of hours if not minutes. That means straight from camera to website. This is why it is essential to have the tech down in camera as opposed to post. After the photographer and the client have picked the best images that is when the final edits take place.

Now when the client is on the phone every day wasting your time with silly questions or demanding costly reshoots; that is when profits fall. At that point do your best to explain your position and quickly come up with a solution that will work for everyone involved.

Love & Bass

11. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I explain this ahead of time and it will be in my contract when ever I manage to get it written up. Yep Im a slacker. BUt they know they get a minimum of 20 and its up to me. I think its really smart to do that. First you would have to edit for a billion hours (I dont show unedited). Second it does take away the magic.

You can explain that you pick the best out and edit them and offer them. If tehre was something specific that she wanted to see, to please let you know and you will look through the outtakes and see if you can find something like that.

But since it wasnt in a contract and you didnt discuss it ahead of time, maybe you could shot show her and take it as a learning expirence. I dont even offer it! I just think showing 4 of the same photo take away the impact. And I want to chose what I put my name on. So I think you are right on there.

12. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I cant imagine why you would ever show photos that werent edited and polished. Where is the magic? You might as well just be target or walmart photo studio. I guess for my business, a big part of what I do is provide polished portraits. Sure the photo might look ok out of the box, but by no means is it the quality I show my client