Question on reflection

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Mithlondor, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Mithlondor

Mithlondor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Heres a picture from the same series that Impact came from (I posted that shot earlier in the general forums)

The question I have is this:
    The idea of the shot was to capture the reflection of the sky and the surrounding tree line on the club as I saw it, tieing in the nature element into the game of golf. I used my Canon EOS with 105mm lens and circular polarizer for this shot, and it didnt quite turn out the way I wanted to, it just seems theres too much taking away from the point of the picture, and making out the reflection is a bit difficult. Suggestions?

[​IMG]

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

One might be taking off the polariser that filter is to cut down reflection it seems if you want to encourage reflection you would take it off.

3. Puscas

Puscas TPF Noob!

I found myself trying to click on that 'play-icon' on the golf club. Is that always on there or? Maybe it's me, but it looks like a media player....:lol:

As for the picture: I like the idea, but the club is too centered. And yes, there's not a lot of reflection, but the area is small and there are no things IN the reflections that catch my eye: it's mostly clouds and a tree. Do you think you could change that? (look for a different surrounding?)

pascal

4. Mithlondor

Mithlondor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That "play" icon is actually on most clubs to designate the middle of the club face to help you when you try to line up your shot.

As far as the items to reflect goes, I suppose youre right, I kind of picked a tee box thats a bit out in the open. It just seems to me that the picture doesnt quite match what I saw myself, which is a fairly rich reflection of the surroundings.

Also, the club is a curved surface, which would create almost a fisheye effect with whatever is reflected on it...no clue how to fix that.

5. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree about moving the club and the ball to the right. Use the "rule of 3rds" to pick the line to move it too, and leave the grass to the left blank, giving the idea of sweeping motion from right to left.

I also would love to see this in full color, with the bright green "grass"

6. Mithlondor

Mithlondor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This was shot on B/W film, not digital, so going to color is somewhat difficult. I am planning to load up some Fuji Velvia and doing the shoot again come spring (right now, the grass is kind of icky yellow most places).

As far as enhancing the reflection goes, polarizer yes or no? I always had the impression you can turn it to enhance reflection as well as eliminate it.

7. Pyrex

Pyrex TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, you could try a chrome driver next time :)