question on WB

V.Alonso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok

so on tuesday i will be doing some portraits for the theater department at my school, and i have a question about lights &WB

i will be using my AB400 light as a main light source, and a regular tugstein hot light(for a back light) and maybe a reflecter if needed. and i will also take my SB600 just in case

now my question is:

because i will be using the AB abd hot light, will thre be a problem with WB? or not, and if so, can i put a gel over the AB to help?

i relly appreciate any other suggestions/ comments, as this is the first time i take formal portraits of people i dont know too well (some of the actors dont go to my school)

TIA
Victor:hail:

umm im not sure about about the lights your using.... maybe someone can offer advice if you want to get the wb right 'in camera'.

But if it were me, i'd just make sure the lighting is ok then shoot in RAW... so it wont matter if theres a colour cast because you'd be able to set the wb afterwards in Raw software or PS. ;)

ok new question then...

ive never shot RAW before, but i know i can edit RAW files in CS right?

also can they be converted to JPEG after? because i need to give them a cd with the JPEGS so they can use them

thanks

Hmmm... im not sure if the adobe plugin was compatible with CS.... it is for CS2... but i think the D50 came out after CS was released.

You can look on the adobe site to check if it will work.... if not, no problem.... just download rawshooter essentials or another free RAW editing programme.

Yes, once its been through the RAW phase it can easily be made into a jpeg in PS.

Not sure about CS, but I know you can in CS2. There may be a plug-in for it though.

And yes, you can save them to JPEGs.

thanks... and i just realized that ill need a plug-in as i tried to put a raw file on cs now and it didnt work

thanks for the help

V.Alonso said:
ok

so on tuesday i will be doing some portraits for the theater department at my school, and i have a question about lights &WB

i will be using my AB400 light as a main light source, and a regular tugstein hot light(for a back light) and maybe a reflecter if needed. and i will also take my SB600 just in case

now my question is:

because i will be using the AB abd hot light, will thre be a problem with WB? or not, and if so, can i put a gel over the AB to help?

i relly appreciate any other suggestions/ comments, as this is the first time i take formal portraits of people i dont know too well (some of the actors dont go to my school)

TIA
Victor:hail:

Whatever light setup or sources you use: if you measure/preset the WB before the first shot – for instance with a grey card – and if you shoot RAW (or RAW+JPG), you can't go wrong with the WB.

Click this for a wrap-up on WB (3.5MB PowerPoint file)

V.Alonso said:
thanks... and i just realized that ill need a plug-in as i tried to put a raw file on cs now and it didnt work

thanks for the help

I use CS2, and i've found that in order for you to get the correct WB, you need to copy the "Nikon NEF plugin LE.8bi" and "Nikon YCC TIFF.8bi" from your Nikon Picture Project CD or program in order to open NEF's in Photoshop. You can download camera RAW plugins for photoshop that aren't Nikon, but I can never get them to set the correct WB. The Nikon plug in doesn't give you as much control, but i prefer to fix the other things in photoshop instead of the RAW opener.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back