Question re programmed TTL flash

cjn1962

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello:

I own a Nikon N2000 and a Speedlight SB-22s. The N2000 has a programmed exposure mode where aperature and shutter speed are automatically selected. When using a flash in the programmed exposure mode, the aperature is automatically chosen and the shutter speed is set to 1/125. Like other flashes, the Speedlight displays a chart that lets one calculate flash range based on film speed and aperture. However, if am using programmed mode, I don't know my aperature setting so how do I know what my flash range is? I do understand that the TTL will properly expose the shot, but there is obviously a limit to the range of the flash.

Thanks for any help,

Chris

The short answer is that you don't really know the maximum range in P mode. TTL won't expose the shot properly if the shutter speed is fixed at synch speed and the subject is out of range of the flash.

There are many options available with this combination, what kind of thing are you worried will be out of range? I would image that the SB22 has a GN of about 20, so should probably be good for 20m or so under "normal" conditions, but a lot depends on the lens, aperture and camera integration.

Rob

Most reactions

New Topics

Back