Question Re: Using E-TTL Flash

kitjv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As a newbie to flash photography, I have heard that to reduce potential exposure issues using the camera's Av or Tv modes, it would be preferable to use the manual mode to set ambient light exposure. Is there validity in this view? Thank you.

Yes, there is ample validity to that opinion. Av and Tv flash shooting introduces a significant amount of variation from shot to shot, and from scene to scene. The settings the camera selects will often vary quite a bit,and in many dimmer-light situations, using either Av or Tv can mess up the exposures quite a bit. "Most" experienced photographers, professional and amateur alike, prefer to shoot flash pictures in Manual mode, most of the time. If you are GOING TO USE AN AUTO exposure mode, and shoot flash pictures, and you are NOT a seasoned photographer, I would suggest that either P (for shiftable PROGRAM) or GREEN BOX automatic exposure modes will, usually, produce more better-exposed pictures than either Av or Tv will. (Again, that is with a non-seasoned person shooting the shots!)

May help somewhat for you to understand better

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there is ample validity to that opinion. Av and Tv flash shooting introduces a significant amount of variation from shot to shot, and from scene to scene. The settings the camera selects will often vary quite a bit,and in many dimmer-light situations, using either Av or Tv can mess up the exposures quite a bit. "Most" experienced photographers, professional and amateur alike, prefer to shoot flash pictures in Manual mode, most of the time. If you are GOING TO USE AN AUTO exposure mode, and shoot flash pictures, and you are NOT a seasoned photographer, I would suggest that either P (for shiftable PROGRAM) or GREEN BOX automatic exposure modes will, usually, produce more better-exposed pictures than either Av or Tv will. (Again, that is with a non-seasoned person shooting the shots!)
Thank you, Derrel, for the explanation. I will definitely take this into account as a practice with flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back