Question regarding filters.

nickb98c

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since Im new to filters, and a UV filter is the only filter I have had experience with, I have some questions regard other types. I found this kit on ebay(below)

58MM 3PC FILTER+ WideAngle+TELEPHOTO LENS FOR CANON XSi - eBay (item 170442098475 end time Feb-05-10 18:38:40 PST)
and I had several questions.
A.Is it total junk? I want a beginner's set up, because Im not wanting to spend a whole lot of money just yet. I would like to have some filters and attachments with out forking out 100 plus. It seems like a decent deal, and will give me enough to get the basics down on how to use the gear, and then later maybe upgrade to higher quality.

B.If I were to use and of the filters with the wide angle or the zoom attachments, can I place the filter on the lens, and then the zoom or wide angle on the filter. Because both of the attachments would require 62mm filters if I were to place the filters on the end. Can they be sandwhiched between without any negeative or lowered effects?

C. Are the Zoom and the wide angle attachments a joke? Will they really have an effect? Obviously they arent telephotos or fisheyes on their own, but will they at least work decently? Im not ready to buy a new lens, and I thought if these work well, then Ide give them a try.

I know you get what you pay for, and I have researched a little and this kit would retail for about 74.99 in a store(atleast thats what I have found). So would it be worth it?

Thanks for any help!

Nick

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have Canon's XS slr.

Also, if it is junk, what other options should I look at? Any experience with decent but cheep accessories. Im aware that photography can be an expensive hobby, but I would like to stick to a budget for now.

I would like a polarizing filter right now. Any recommendations?

If you're looking for a decent but relatively cheap filter set look at a company called Cokin. They make a number of square filters that you place into a frame. Since they're all the same size, you can get them fairly cheap. Once you have the frame, you can use any (or several) of their filters in it.

Ah.

They were originally designed for video camera's ... to magnify or widen the built-in lens. They have no where near the quality of any true SLR lens you will get for your Canon.

Don't bother looking at them ... even though you may think they are cheap ... they will highly degrade the image if you use them.

Polariser wise, I'm using Tiffen right now but I'd like to buy a Hoya.

I was just going to ask how the tiffen filters were.

I like mine. It's a good filter, but I feel like the threads are wearing down after only 2 years. I have a few 10 year old Hoya filters that have no sign of wear at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back