Question regarding giving/getting photo credit

KmH on top of this! Thanks, yet again!

Well, the bastards know full well they got caught, and now they're hoping you won't go for the kill shot.

If it were my image they stole, I'd already be halfway to a settlement.

Good luck getting your justice from them!

Called the attorney's office. talking to his secretary Tuesday and she will take all the information down and forward it to him to see if there Is a worthwhile case. Unfortunately he is on vacation until the 20th.

OP, no not a long post.

Sucks what happened. I call that theft. Can't advise what to do. Most likely suck it up and move on. Your protection for using images large scale comes with offering low res images to start with. If stolen for $$ use they can only do so much with low res.

I take low res pix all the time from other togs to post them on the forums to discuss and illustrate a point. They get removed quickly. I tried getting permission and in 2 pix I had permission..they were removed as well. I will post my complaints on that shortly.

In any case, I only use low res copies and I give credit if the tog if known. Some members call me a thief. I am a thief for posting another togs photo to praise it and say it is not mine? Did you ever shoot a pix of a billboard? Are you a thief?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ so the point of you posting here was......?

Yeah that sounded like a bull crap answer, he's trying to make you feel bad like you lost out when reality he's just pissed off he got caught and probalby got bitched at by the company and he doesn't have enough quality of charachter to stand up to what he did. You tried to contact him. you tried to resolve the issue and he bitched out on it.

I love the fact it's over facebook. If I don't get a reply from the company by mail shortly it will just show me that they don't think I am serious/are just shady overall. Time will tell. Tuesday is just around the corner so we will see what the secretary or whatever she is has to say about my case. Obviously I will keep this thread updated.

Just got off the phone with my original attorney's associate. He said my case sounded interesting and would get back to me. -Iffy

Then searched around a little more and found another lawyer who forwarded me to his friend, who charges less and does individual stuff and not large company stuff like him, and she said I have a good case and is going to put together an estimate and such for me. Should hear back from her tomorrow.

Sidenote: Lawyers are not cheap.

If your attorney can prove willful infringement, the court can include your court and attorneys fees as part of the award. You stand the chance of it costing you zip, nada, nothing.

Often the other side's attorney recommends not even bothering to pay him/her show up in court, because they have zero chance of even mitigating the damages awarded by so much as a penny let alone winning.

The smart infringers try to settle before it goes to court. If they do, make sure they agree to pay ALL your court and attorney costs, including your time spent on the internet researching the legal issues and attorneys.

"Large Auto Company" almost certainly has policies stating that they DO NOT DO this kind of thing, and sometimes those policies have teeth.

You can probably get Media Guy fired if you push it (with the aid of a lawyer) from the Large Auto Company downwards. I dunno if that's a positive or a negative for you.

If the media guy willfully infringed a photo and exposed the 'large auto company' to an infringement law suit they have little if any hope of mitigating, he/she should be fired.

One of the pretty much common terms of employment is that if you commit dishonest, immoral, or illegal acts at work, and get caught doing so, you get demoted to being unemployed.

"Large Auto Company" almost certainly has policies stating that they DO NOT DO this kind of thing, and sometimes those policies have teeth.

You can probably get Media Guy fired if you push it (with the aid of a lawyer) from the Large Auto Company downwards. I dunno if that's a positive or a negative for you.

That's one thing I've been talked to about by friends and worries me a little, but not much. If word of this gets out how am I going to be viewed by the automotive sports media world?

Not worried too much as I have a career aside from photography starting, but I do enjoy it as a side hobby/job.

I would bet most people will be understanding and will side with you in this.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back