question thread - craig - Studio lighting (tungsten)

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The questions thread for craig's upcomming article on Studio lighting (tungsten)
please post any questions which relate to the subject and that you would like to be answered by craig.

Please note that there is no guarantee that your question will be answered - also note that the answer might form part of the general article itself so do read it.

craig: The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - View Profile: craig
Please also keep any general questions about the project as a whole in the thread here: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/152561-photographic-q-sessions.html

Do not be shy with the questions gang.

Tungsten or hot lights are a great start to studio lighting. Advantages are realitively easy set up and operation and the ability to see exactly where the light is falling and the effects of modifiers etc. Disadvantages are high temps (hot) and slow shutter speeds. Much of what we discuss here can also be applied to strobes.

Bring it!

Love & Bass

I know tugsten lighting is good for film photography, but where are its advantages in digital?

I know tugsten lighting is good for film photography, but where are its advantages in digital?

There are only 3 small advantages... the rest are major disadvantages...

1. becuase it is constant, you see a preview of the shadows in advance
2. its CHEAP to buy
3. becuase there is no recycle times involved, you can shoot at the maximum FPS your camera has without concerns.

Disadvantages are many, but I will leave that elsewhere, as this was not what you asked for.

As far as Tungsten goes it is basically the same in Film & Digi. The film advantage is shooting with the beautiful Kodak T64. Tungsten is primarily for shooting still life. Although I have shot some of my strongest model work with tungsten. As I mentioned the constant light is the biggest advantage. Another advantage is the ability to focus the light.

Love & Bass

There are only 3 small advantages... the rest are major disadvantages...

1. becuase it is constant, you see a preview of the shadows in advance
2. its CHEAP to buy
3. becuase there is no recycle times involved, you can shoot at the maximum FPS your camera has without concerns.

Disadvantages are many, but I will leave that elsewhere, as this was not what you asked for.

Your personal feelings may be getting in the way of my happy thread.

1 There is no preview. What you see is what you get.
2 Tungsten is not cheap. Look up Lowell & Mole Richardson.
3 Photographers when shooting Tungsten are not concerned with fps or recycle times.

There are no disadvantages. Keep in mind that shutter speeds will be slow and they are called hot lights for a reason.

Love & Bass

Last edited:
Your personal feelings may be getting in the way of my happy thread.

1 There is no preview. What you see is what you get.
2 Tungsten is not cheap. Look up Lowell & Mole Richardson.
3 Photographers when shooting Tungsten are not concerned with fps or recycle times.

Sorry, but I did not say ANYTHING wrong.

1. I am sure that what I meant was word for word the SAME as what you said, just in a different way.

2. If you think tungsten lights are expensive, go check out a set of Broncolor to compare against. Tungsten will always cost less, no matter where, as long as you are talking top of the live vs top of the line and equivalent quality side by side down the scale.

3. See #1.

I will repeat... I specifically did not even mention ONE SINGLE disadvantage, so none of my personal feelings are muddying up your happy thread. I've shot a lot of tungsten, less than flash obviously, but feel that what I said was 100% factual and in no way detrimental.

There are no disadvantages.

Ok, I'll wait until you put out your thread and post there. I believe I can think of at least 4-5 "things that are NOT advantages".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back